Immersion tank half filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically the header tank above the immersion is working as it should and I proved it by filling it to the overflow with a hose yet the cylinder below still only fills to half way which has caused the wring for the thermostat/element to burn out.
What could be causing the immersion to only partially fill and what stops a fully functioning one stop filling?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Blockage in the pipe from the bottom of the header tank to the cylinder

Thanks for the replies and excuse any terminology I use, newish to heating.

I thought of blockage so emptied the immersion tank then allowed the header to refil which it did but only halfway unless it could be a partial blockage?

Cistern fills as it should and have hot water when the heating is on just not when I use the electric as the thermostat rod isn't in the water so doesn't get a temp reading and element is on constantly.

Sponsored Links
How do you know it's only half filling? The hot water draw off should be at the top.

the wring for the thermostat/element to burn out.

The thermostat is almost certainly fitted into pocket and not in direct contact with the water in the cylinder. Therefore it will be dry even if the cylinder is completely full of water.

The wiring will be burnt if the current to the immersion heater is too high for the wiring. or the wiring is too small for the heater's current or a terminal has become loose.

If there was no water around the immersion heater then the immersion heater would get hot and trip the thermostat which would stop the current flowing.

I think you're right about the pocket, I keep looking at heating elements thinking the rod is the actual thermostat when it must be a slightly bigger tube the thermostat sits in, hence why it's not sealed, I did wonder why water didn't come out of there, I assumed the water outlet had a pipe that went into the cylinder.
So it must be full if I'm getting water out then?!
The reason the wiring could have burnt out then could have been due to faulty thermostat keeping the element constantly on?

Every day is skool day!

Andy
Indeed!

Made myself look stupid but established the elements not boiling dry :)
Hopefully swapping that and the thermostat should give me hot water again.
The wiring in question:
57492A87-4496-4878-AB02-2F571A116B01_zpsmrkepe33.jpg

Last edited:
If the immersion heater was boiling the water in your cylinder dry, you'd definitely know about it.

Never mind about looking stupid;) I found a setup giving problems like yours - and the cold feed went in the TOP of the tank and the "hot" water came out the bottom :eek: The diy'er wondered why immersions kept burning out - the element was running dry in that setup.

Poor connection.

Replace the thermostat with new thermostat with a build-in safety cut out, cut back flex and remake connection or renew flex with heat resistant 2.5mm2.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back