Imperial mains to metric copper connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My stoptap is leaking and needs to be replaced (I've tried repacking the gland nut, no luck).

The current setup is show below. The mains pipe is Polyprene BS 1972 Class D with a 21.5mm OD, and according to http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/alkathene-accessories.html, a 14.1mm ID. The copper pipe is regular 15mm stuff.

Can anyone advise how and what parts I need to replace the fittings and stoptap please?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you can remove the 'guts' of the tap and just fit new 'guts' inside the old body. this would mean you don't need to worry about pipe sizes etc. often worth reseating the original seating to ensure the water turns off fully afterwards when the tap is closed.

You have the same pipe as I do, unfortunately. Luckily I had a section of 15mm pipe between the fitting and the stop tap so mine was easily replaced.

The advice I was given was to use a short piece of 15mm pipe as an insert into the plastic pipe (to stop it crushing as you tighten...) and a 22mm compression fitting with a 3/4" olive over it to allow a new piece of pipe to be put in.

You've got 1/2" class D alkathene there with a connector to 1/2" BSP on the end going into the stopcock .You just need a 15mm copper to Female iron 1/2 compression fitting then a stub of copper and a new 15mm stoptap . Out the top a stub of copper and a 15mm compression coupling onto the stub out of the soldered T ;) .

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like somebody has attempted to solder the 15mm copper from the tee into the top of the stopcock instead of using the correct male iron fitting!:eek:

If I'm correct, the OP might have a little more 'fun' to contend with!

The advice I was given was to use a short piece of 15mm pipe as an insert into the plastic pipe (to stop it crushing as you tighten...) and a 22mm compression fitting with a 3/4" olive over it to allow a new piece of pipe to be put in.

My understanding is the ID for class D is 14.1mm. Would a 15mm pipe insert fit?

My understanding is the ID for class D is 14.1mm. Would a 15mm pipe insert fit?
So I am told. I didn't have to do it in the end as I mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back