Impreza Turbo problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a 20 year old Impreza. A few weeks ago the turbo packed up and he had to be towed home. After some research he found a reasonably local garage which specialized in Imprezas and entrusted the work of replacing the turbo as well as other work.

The work was done and my son collected the car. The next day the car packed up again and had to transported back to the garage. They have now reported that a nut from the old turbo had come undone and moved out of the turbo into the engine. The nut hasn't disintegrated but there is some swarf in the engine.

The garage are denying any responsibility for any damage caused.

Can they do this, or should they have stripped the old turbo to find out why it was not working before fitting the new turbo?

Sponsored Links
I have to say - if there's any part or piece missing from the turbo or any other item on the car's induction side it makes sense to investigate where its gone......its probably the vane nut that went AWOL.
How the nut actually got there is anyone's guess - its got to travel through the intercooler too.
Does this car have induction flaps, do you know?
John :)

I dont know many that would strip the turbo to check for missing parts, most would probably take a look at the play in the shaft just for curiosity but that is done from the outside.
If you had the old turbo as evidence it may help you but they may have removed a nut to cover them anyway if they did make the mistake.

I have seen some photos of the old turbo and the fact that a nut was missing can be seen without any need to dismantle the turbo. The nut, which was found in the inlet (not exactly sure where) looks as if it's about 10mm across.

The garage has waived the charges for five hours labour removing the turbo and locating the nut and my son has agreed to pay for removing the inlet and exhaust manifolds to check for damage and clean out any swarf. They are also doing an oil change and a new filter.

Sponsored Links
I have to say - if there's any part or piece missing from the turbo or any other item on the car's induction side it makes sense to investigate where its gone......its probably the vane nut that went AWOL.
How the nut actually got there is anyone's guess - its got to travel through the intercooler too.
Does this car have induction flaps, do you know?
John :)

Have to agree John, I've heard and seen bits of turbo in the I/C, but for bits of metal to travel further than that must take some doing!! The OP also states the garage are willing to do an oil and filter change, this SHOULD have been done on installation of a new turbo anyway, given that the turbo relies on its oil lines to lube the seals and aid cooling along with the coolant lines.

Back