Improving current lean to- Advise needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The side of my house as a lean to. It has a polycarbonate roof that is supported by the some metal poles. My neighbour also has one and a fence seperates the two. My lean to is completely open from one side and leads into my garden.

We want to remove the fence and metal poles and replace with a solid brick or block wall. The roofs of both lean-to will be supported by the brick wall.
I will also add a pair of french doors to my lean to so that it basically becomes a utilty room.

The current floor is concrete.

I don’t really want to make this into a big expensive job however I still want the structure to be water and damp proof

Can anyone forsee any major issues with this idea?
My neighbour is totally fine with it.

Sponsored Links
I don't see a problem as long as you keep your original back door and don't make it a part of the house. No need for building control.

I don't see a problem as long as you keep your original back door and don't make it a part of the house. No need for building control.

Good point; leave the existing door on and it becomes a porch / conservatory (presumably undr 30 sq m.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the advice. I did have that concern in my mind but I was sure I could avoid building regs.
How about in terms of damp. Will that be a problem or how can I ensure it doesn't become a problem

Look at the many "garage conversion" threads to see how to damp-proof the floor and walls

Avoiding building control is not an issue as long as you are certain that it will be built properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back