Improving insulation in end terrace circa 1906

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to invest some cash in improving the insulation in our end terrace home. Several issues to deal with here:

1. Large gable end is a solid wall (east facing) which is losing considerable amount of heat and has some condensation issues on the ground floor. I'm considering an internal Kingspan K17 solution for this wall using an adhesive to attach.

2. Loft insulation is in place up to 270mm although it is quite patchy in places - I'm considering getting a professional in to complete this and add some under-rafters insulation.

3. I believe the front and back walls are cavity walls but I have three windows at the front and two at the back

4. The brickwork to the back of the house is overly porous and I believe we are loosing heat this way as well.

So several questions and please bear with me:

1. If I get the front and back walls cavity insulated will this system work well with the kingspan down the gable end or do I risk having some cold bridging taking effect - any tips welcome.

2. Is it even worth getting the smaller front and back walls cavity insulated given the amount of window?

3. What depth of kingspan do you think I should go for taking into account loss of internal space vs insulating properties?

4. I would say I am an intermediate DIY'er - would you caution against me taking on the kingspan work myself? The internal walls are actually in decent condition, there are no electrical fittings or otherwise to work around.

5. There is a ventilation shaft in one of the walls I'm planning to kingspan - cover-up or work around and leave open?

6. For the overly porous rear wall do you have any products you can suggest to protect this whilst still keeping it breathable

FYI, we have had a damp course professionally installed and verified 12 months after installation so rising damp is not an issue.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back