In which order will these fill up?

Sponsored Links
But then again perhaps my pedanticism is out of control

Not your pendanticism, but your interpretation of the problem. You were not given any data about the flow rates or the capacity of the pipes, so they are irrelevant variables, so you can only work with what you know. You can safely assume that the tanks will fill at a standard rate, simply because you haven't been told anything to the contrary, and you can see that tank 2 will never fill higher than the top of 3 and 4, and that 1 will never fill higher than the outlet in to 2, and 4 will never fill till 3 is almost full, at which point, 3 and 4 will fill together, but with the water having to enter 3 before it can flow into 4. So at the end of the exercise, 3 will always be the first to fill.

You have to be autistic to be truly pedantic.

Sponsored Links
Not your pendanticism, but your interpretation of the problem.
Sorry. I disagree

You were not given any data about the flow rates or the capacity of the pipes, so they are irrelevant variables, so you can only work with what you know. .
OK, with you so far.

You can safely assume that the tanks will fill at a standard rate.
After telling me I can only work with what I know, you start making assumptions...Hmmmmm

simply because you haven't been told anything to the contrary, and you can see that tank 2 will never fill higher than the top of 3 and 4, and that 1 will never fill higher than the outlet in to 2, and 4 will never fill till 3 is almost full, at which point, 3 and 4 will fill together, but with the water having to enter 3 before it can flow into 4. So at the end of the exercise, 3 will always be the first to fill.
Plenty of assumptions there.

You have to be autistic to be truly pedantic.

Autism is what rocks me.......:LOL:

After telling me I can only work with what I know, you start making assumptions

You've missed the point of logic problems Trazor. You have to work out what are known factors, what are possible variables, and what are irrelevant assumptions. When I said that you can safely assume that the tanks will fill at a standard rate, maybe I should have said that in the absence of any other information, all you can do is accept that tanks will fill at a standard rate.

And sorry, as everyone on the site agrees with the tank fill procedure, I can't see what assumptions I've made, so please enlighten me - and the others of course.

You've missed the point of logic problems Trazor..

The problem, as posed, is not a "Logic problem", as their are too many unknowns.

It's typical of many internet puzzles, which require a leap of faith to provide an answer.

Of course it's a logic problem Trazer, and the logic comes in being able to work it out, taking into account what you can see, what isn't said, and what you can take as a given in the absence of it not being stated. For those who speculated on flow rate and the size of the pipes, in the absence of anything being stated to the contrary, you take them as being equal; then it comes down simply to assessing how each tank/cistern will fill in relation to each other. Being able to look at the problem and then solve it, has nothing to do with a leap of faith.

But I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.

In which order will these fill up?

As you can see, the tap is just dripping.

screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-13-43-16-png.109327

Sponsored Links
Back