Induction hob and diversity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you apply diversity to an induction hob or not?

Have heard differing views, particularly on DIYnot.

Sponsored Links
Before having one I would have said no since with the boost function you can use the whole supply.

However once I started using one it became very apparent the boost can only be used to boil water. Add any food and it is so much energy no matter how hard one stirs the food it will burn. So in real terms boost is very seldom used.

So I would say diversity can be applied. My stand alone cooker has 4 hobs, two elements in top oven and three elements in bottom oven so it could top 50A if everything on together. But the manufacturer says use a 32A supply.

Lets face it should you turn everything on the only thing that would happen is the trip would open.

We were very lucky ours has knobs to control everything. My mothers had touch controls that was a complete flop. Whole idea is rapid control how the heck can one alter heat quickly with multi selection of a touch control?

However there are so many safety features built into the induction hob we have I wonder if it has some auto feature to stop overload! Clearly with our cooker the diversity is part of the design of the whole cooker.

If you try doubling up on diversity then there will be likely a problem. What I am saying is if the hob has 4 rings 3kW x 2, 3.7kW and 2.3kW as with my cooker then although total = 12kW the cooker will not allow that to be used so 6.7kW is the maximum. And the time for that output is limited with auto over heat detection. Add oven then my cooker is 12455W or 54A so with a 32A supply diversity is already taken into account. Clearly I could not also add a microwave to that circuit claiming diversity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back