induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have a new aeg induction hob which draws 16amps at 230v.I have to run a feed for it up the wall from a cooker switch across under the floor upstairs and down to the fuse board,total legnth of run 45 feet.
Is 6mm T&E ok for the cable and would a 32amp rcbo be suitable protection or could i use a 20amp rcd.

I am doing a house rebuild myself and everything i do is checked before it is connected by a qualified electrician.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
you certain it's only 16A? is this a "domino" hob?

if it's a 16A feed it needs then use a 16A or 20A RCBO in the board..

6mm² should be fine..

I take it you're notifying the LABC as needed for Part P? your sparky can't do it for you as they are not doing the actual work and saying that they are is blatently lying..

Thanks for the info.It is 7200 watts.It is the Electrolux AEG EHD72100X
I will be speaking to the relivent aurthorities before i comence work on it.

says it's 7.4KW in the manual..

even if we take your 7.2KW as right, then that's 7200 / 230 = 31.3A.. so where did you get your 16A from ???

you need a 32A supply, depending on the installation route, 6mm² should be fine..

Sponsored Links
Sorry about that,they told me in the shop it required a 16amp supply but as you said it can't be if it is rated at 7200w.
So i need to up rate my supply.Do you think 6mm is not enough,should i go for 10mm to be safe and use a 32amp rcbo.
Thanks for the advice.

You need an electrician to do this work for you.

With respect, you obviously do not have a clue about cable calculations or the basics of circuit protection.

10mm² is always better if it's a new circuit, why put in something that may be undersized when new technology comes out in a few years or the missus decides she wants a range cooker at some point?

Year Right.
I don't need a sparky to lift floor boards, cut holes,chop out for boxes or run cables.
These things i can do myself.
What i do need a sparky for,is to tell me what cable and what type of fuse to buy.
Speaking for myself, i would never do anything to put my life or that of my family at risk.
Which brings me back to the reason this website is here.
People who want to have a go at DIY should not be critisized for trying to do most things themselves.The trouble with alot of people who reply to questions posted on this website is they think everyone else is stupid,they are not,they just don't know.
If someone wants to try and do something themselves it is better they are guided by an expert than to just go at it gungho without any knowlage at all.

I don't need a sparky to lift floor boards, cut holes,chop out for boxes or run cables.
These things i can do myself.
Of course you can - no question. The only things you need to be aware of there are concealed cable routes and the structural implications of cutting away at walls and drilling holes in joists.

Oh - and how many circuits you need to comply with 314.

What i do need a sparky for,is to tell me what cable and what type of fuse to buy.
So you have to ask the electrician who is involved with this.

He is the one who will be signing certificates to say that he did all of the design, installation and testing, and that it all was in accordance with BS 7671:2008, and he will be the one telling the council that he was entirely responsible for it and that it all complies with the Building Regulations.

He cannot legitimately do that if other people make design decisions.

If someone wants to try and do something themselves it is better they are guided by an expert than to just go at it gungho without any knowlage at all.
Absolutely, but the only expert who can guide you is your electrician.

You are involved in a major project which requires Building Regulations approval - somewhere along the line you'll be expecting him to take legal responsibility for all of the electrical work. So the only person who should be making design decisions is him.

You are right,after talking with the very nice guy from building control who came out to take a look.I will be doing no electric myself,only assisting the electrician when he comes.Having read all the replies from you guys,you are
all right ,it is a lot to ask a sparky to sign off work he has not done.I'll stick to the woodwork and decorating.
Thans again for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back