Induction hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new so please be gentle.

I am just about to start the process of changing out my kitchen and I'm after some guidance with regards to changing my existing gas hob for an induction one.

Currently I have a double oven fed by a 6mm twin and earth rated at 4.4kw, as far as I can tell, running from the consumer unit on a 32A RCD. I have the power for the ignition on the gas hob running from a switch on the wall on the normal ring main for the kitchen.

As far as I can gather I have two options

1. Spur the power for the induction hob from the switch for the cooker (running both off the 32A on the consumer unit in effect)

2. get a lower powered induction hob that can run off a 13amp plug (I have reservations about this with regards power output, is it worth it)

is there anyone who can advise me on this, power limits for the induction hob if I were to spur it, if its safe to do so?

I cant run a dedicated power supply back to the consumer unit (its full) so if thats the only option I'll just have to stick with my gas hob.

Thanks in advance.

btw a little diagram

upload_2016-1-25_13-11-58-png.92315

Sponsored Links
Thanks both of you. That's good news. Is there a maximum rating for the hob that I can use? I think most sit at around 7kw?

Sponsored Links
If we apply diversity to the hob and the oven as separate loads then you should be OK up to 8.5KW. That covers almost every domestic induction hob.

If we apply diversity to the hob and the oven as separate loads then you should be OK up to 8.5KW. That covers almost every domestic induction hob.
True, but is it not normal to apply diversity to the combined loads of all cooking appliances on a single circuit? If one does that (and assuming no socket supplied by the circuit), the hob could be something like 12.5 kW - certainly more than any domestic induction hob.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much for the advice. Looks like i'll be going for the hob with the dual outlet plate and some 6mm between.

Sounds like a safe bet. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back