Inspection chamber cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had an inspection chamber (precast concrete) in my garden covered with a piece of ply. I decided to fit a proper cover on it a couple of weeks ago, rectangular galvanised cover with a metal frame. I mixed up some 3:1 mortar using building sand, sprayed the precast concrete with water (been dry for a long time and it was a warm day), laid a bed of mortar and put the frame on this. Left it to go off for a couple of hours and then put the cover on. Then again using 3:1 mortar I haunched around the frame.

The next morning I noticed some cracks in the mortar but didn't worry about it too much. The last few days I have noticed more cracks and I was thinking about redoing the haunch. Today, I noticed the whole thing (frame and cover) will move if I kick the edge of the haunch.

I need to redo it and I was hoping one of you could tell me where I went wrong. Did I use the wrong mortar mix? Or is it because the precast concrete has a smooth surface so there is no key for the mortar? How should I do it so it is solid and doesn't move?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You need to use sharp sand AKA screed sand, concrete sand etc. Mix it 3:1 and not too much water.

Wet the recipient area prior to applying. Allow the water to dry slightly you don't want it ponding - just damp. Cover it with polythene after you have trowelled it smooth to protect it from drying out too quickly.

Thanks! I know how I'll be spending Saturday morning.

When I was thinking about just redoing the haunch I was planning to use sharp sand. I've spent a lot of time looking at them lately when I'm out and about! The same day I fitted the cover I filled some gaps in crazy paving using a 3:1 sharp sand mix and that mortar is rock hard with no cracks at all.

At which point would you put the cover in the frame?

At which point would you put the cover in the frame?
Leave it as long as you can without leaving a danger. If you could pop some ply over it even better. However, haunch in the morning and it should be ok by lunchtime for the lid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back