Inspection chamber questions. Ultimately, can i move it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, 7 years after my last post I'm back :D

So I have a "chamber" in my drive where I would like to extend to, isn't that nearly always the case.
upload_2017-1-22_13-6-9-png.814861

I had always assumed it was a rodding point for the foul water, the soil stack is internal and runs to the left of the little window you can see above
Popped the cover off the other day and saw this

upload_2017-1-22_13-4-26-png.814860

Not quite what I was expecting to be honest . was expecting to see a gully of some sort I guess.
Flushed the loo, nothing happened . so I have a couple of questions

Is it one of these

upload_2017-1-22_13-42-30-png.814875

If not , what is it, whats it for and can I move it to somewhere I don't want to build :D

Am I likely to get the answer to any of these questions without resorting to digging the drive up
thanks for any assistance offered

JS

Sponsored Links
Surface water drain to soakaway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, so its effectively a plug hole, even though its 3/4 the way up a sloped drive with a concrete cover and no means of surface water draining to it ?

Are you sure that middle bit at the bottom isn't a second lid?

I've seen some chambers like that with a smaller lid covering a Y junction.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that middle bit at the bottom isn't a second lid?

I've seen some chambers like that with a smaller lid covering a Y junction.
Hmmmm. Could be. I can't actually reach it. Feels solid under a 'prod'

Try some pliers on the smaller circle that's just below the water. Give it a tug and a wiggle ;)

Me too, I would have assumed that It was a rodding eye cover.
Look on the back of the cover - it might give a name and or serial number.
If you dry out the water at the base maybe more will be revealed?
Following a line from the internal stack down to the roadway - is there a manhole cover?

Its obviously been installed with the block paving - whoever did the paving would have knowledge of such a thing.
Or perhaps enquire at the pavingexpert.com site?

If your house was older i would say it was a Buchan trap? It could be an interceptor of some sort due to a back drop or sudden change in the height if the drain run.

Try some pliers on the smaller circle that's just below the water. Give it a tug and a wiggle ;)

Not sure I can reach, but will give it a go

Me too, I would have assumed that It was a rodding eye cover.
Look on the back of the cover - it might give a name and or serial number.
If you dry out the water at the base maybe more will be revealed?
Following a line from the internal stack down to the roadway - is there a manhole cover?

Its obviously been installed with the block paving - whoever did the paving would have knowledge of such a thing.
Or perhaps enquire at the pavingexpert.com site?
No man hole in the road, although a couple of neighbours have them as well as similar looking ones to mine
The paving has been down for at least 15 years. Before my time. I'll mosey over to paving expert and have a mooch, ta

If your house was older i would say it was a Buchan trap? It could be an interceptor of some sort due to a back drop or sudden change in the height if the drain run.

No idea , but Google will know .

Ta muchly gents

If no manhole is visible then the paving has possibly covered the existing manhole cover.
In an emergency you will needthe manhole for rodding etc. You would do well to locate it.

Perhaps the manhole is this possible rodding eye that was plugged for the original new build water seal test by BCO.
See what the neighbours have to say about their "rodding eyes"?
Do any neighbour's have actual manhole covers in view? If so, where are they located?

My money's on that is a mini chamber on the run from your property to the main sewer, to allow access to your drain. Once that lateral from your property joins the main sewer, access to that run would be available from the chambers on the neighbouring properties either side.

Look familiar?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My PM job, investigating water in a cellar and they have the same inspection chamber, minus the extra lid/cap.

Sorry about the pile of turds ;)

Interior IC's should have sealed covers if they run to a mains connection.

That is what I was expecting to see. But it's not. There is no visible flow when I flush, not even a ripple
Reached in with pliers to grab the 'pipe'in the middle of the puddle. But it's not shifting

Wondering if the only way I am going to find out is to dig the drive up and follow the pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back