Inspection cover access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me. I have a few inspection covers dotted around and two of them have a full size manhole cover on them so i can pop them open and lower myself into them and the other two have exactly the same chamber , but the manhole on the top is only about 1'x1' (30cmx30cm) so you can't get in. This isnt a problem on one of them as i can look in and see everythings flowing ok (might be a problem if its gets blocked though!), but the other has a clay lid over the pipe at the bottom and its too deep to reach.
I was hoping someone with experience of these old drainage systems would of come across this before and have some advice on how you remove these inspection covers. Is there a special tool? They have a handle of sorts on them , but nothing you can hook through and come away pretty easily as the two chambers i can get into have them on too.

thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the covers in question would help.

PS - Not a good idea to climb into inspection chambers without the right kit on , they can be full of poisonous gases.

I'll try and get a pic and post it up tomorrow. What kind of gases?

Sponsored Links
I can open any manhole and unblock any drain line without going into the inspection camber.

Sometimes you need to call a pro.

Andy

Gases other than air. Which means suffocating.

The chambers aren't massive so once the top has been open for a little bit they should be fine. This route hasn't been working for a few years too so there isn't any sewage in it.

I can open any manhole and unblock any drain line without going into the inspection camber.

Sometimes you need to call a pro.

Andy

Although i'm very happy for you, this doesn't really help me. Can you suggest how you as a pro would lift a clay inspection cover without being able to reach it with your hands?

[

Although i'm very happy for you, this doesn't really help me. Can you suggest how you as a pro would lift a clay inspection cover without being able to reach it with your hands?
Maybe a powerful old vacuum cleaner would have enough suction to hold the clay cover ( they like wet+dry vacs here ) Being old but not necessarily a pro - more a jack of all ;) - I would get the Araldite out and knock up an eye onto a large flat washer then smother it with Araldite and press it onto the cover. Next day I would see if I could pull it up with a hook - It's got 2 chances.

Gases other than air. Which means suffocating.

The chambers aren't massive so once the top has been open for a little bit they should be fine. This route hasn't been working for a few years too so there isn't any sewage in it.

Do you know what density means?

Yes, i also knows what condescending means.
I assume you are referring to air density not atomic density. You were a bit vague.
and yes, i am aware some gases are heavier than air and will sit in cavities such as this, but with its relative small size and the strong winds around here it will be sucked out in no time. Besides i've been in about fifty times now and haven't died and as mentioned previously there is nothing organic in there to produce much in the way of gases.

Just out of interest which heavier than air gas which is toxic are you referring too? It would be good to know for future reference in case i discover any more holes!

[

Maybe a powerful old vacuum cleaner would have enough suction to hold the clay cover ( they like wet+dry vacs here ) Being old but not necessarily a pro - more a jack of all ;) - I would get the Araldite out and knock up an eye onto a large flat washer then smother it with Araldite and press it onto the cover. Next day I would see if I could pull it up with a hook - It's got 2 chances.

Thats maybe not a bad option, i'd need to clean the top of it with a vac first as it has a few decades of debris on it and maybe some sort of glue would stick something to it. If it fails and falls sideways in the pipe though....

It doesn't need to be toxic you plank.

'dangerous' then if you want to play semantics. Which gas commonly builds up that will be 'dangerous' to me?
Some actual good advice would be very nice....

I can play with semantics further, but you would learn nothing. I'm off to bed (1am here).

You've been nudged in the right direction, figure it out for yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back