install fence panells on leaning wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a 2ft. wooden panel fence on top of the wall. The wall was leaning and I built a buttress to support it.

I want to support the fence posts on the ground, with bolt-down post supports for concrete. I will also tie the post with metal brackets on top of the wall. This way the wall will not take all the load of the fence and the post will provide some extra support to the wall.

Since the post will be vertical and the wall is leaning, there is a gap between the wall and the post on the bottom, phased out gradually towards the top.

Any ideas how to better install the fences posts and attach them on the side of the wall?
Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
If it can be avoided, don't attach the posts to the wall at all, if it is already leaning and the post will butt up against the wall at the top, there is no need to attach the post to the wall as the weight of the wall will hold it against the post.

Other option rather than bolt down is to concrete into the ground, this all depends on existing ground and condition of surface that you intend to bolt onto...

How high is the wall, and therefore total height of fence (ground to top of fence)

What is the other side of the wall, neighbours? path? other?

Is the ground level both sides of the wall?

EDIT: Maybe get a mod to put this into the garden forum page where fences etc are discussed frequently...

I have a very low opinion of wooden fence posts, they always rot through at the point where the post exits from the concrete pad. By the time you have dug the hole, set the post and back filled with concrete, the extra cost of concrete posts looks small, for an indefinite life (> 30 years?). Having replaced rotten wooden posts, set in concrete, it takes 4 hours just to clear the old concrete !
Go to a decent builders merchants and look for some concrete posts with bolt holes in them.
Where are you going to get 2' high wooden fencing?
Frank

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back