Installing a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a 6way MCB Consumer Unit in an older house that has been rewired within the last 10yrs, but the distribution board was not replaced.
I have a qualified industrial Electrician friend that will carry out the work. However the Main Fuse needs pulling to disconnect the tails and reconnect to the new unit.
How can I get the Main Fuse pulled (seals cut) and reconnected on completion without providing a Certificate of conformance to the new reg's. Clearly I do not wish to rewire the complete house at this stage.
Any views or pointers on procedure I could adopt?
Plonker

Sponsored Links
break seal, pull fuse, do work, replace fuse

no don't do that it is iresponsible for that to be mentioned on this site, it is ilegal, against the law and dangerous.

plonker, you have to ask your supply company. end of for you to follow other advise is dangerours, you do not have correct testing equipment etc, you could severly injur your self and whose advice would you have followed?, not mine that's for sure

Come on Andrew! Before pulling fuse make sure the CU is switched off and after pulling fuse, cover exposed live parts while work is being done.
I have always poked the seal wire back through the holes so it looks like it's still there.

Sponsored Links
guess thats why they have started using stainless steel seals instead of lead

If the unthinkable happens and a fire starts (even apparently unrelated), you can bet your bottom dollar checking the seal and for corresponding CU additions will be high on the list of a fire investigator or insurance assessor. A bit like having 1 pint too many, being in perfect control of a car, not being responsible for an accident but getting done for drink driving...

you just claim it was done by an electricain and you can't remember the details of who

thats ok then is it? blame some one else? ok then so hows about we all blame you? ;)

no don't blame anyone in particular

but don't admit doing anything either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back