Installing a dishwasher in a kitchen not designed for one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could please advise on installing a dishwasher in a kitchen that hasn't been designed with one in mind?

We have a washing machine plumbed in next to the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is housed in a double unit approx 70cm tall excluding baseboard, 50cm deep (panel at the back) and approx 50cm wide from one side to where it meets the sink.

Under the kitchen sink is the waste which exits straight out of the wall under the window and goes down to a gully next to the (outside) cellar door, water connections come to the sink from the right hand side from the cellar.

We believe a slimline dishwasher could probably fit under the draining board of the sink, but I've read that this would be difficult to install? and we really would be better off with a full size model as it'll get full too quick etc. but can anyone advise would fitting a full size dishwasher be possible with this kitchen arrangement please?

I have thought of a solution which would be to move the washing machine into the cellar and have the dishwasher where the washing machine is currently, but this isn't ideal and wouldn't be all that practical.

Any help, advice, ideas would be most gratefully received, thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Slimline dishwashers typically are 450mm wide.....they are the same height and depth as a full size appliance.
Its possible to get the cold water suppy from the same pipe as your washing machine, and its not usually a problem for the drain too - but you may have to use one appliance at a time. Connections can usually be made under the sink. You'll need a 13 amp socket as well.
Slimline dishwashers are usually designed for 8 place settings instead of 12 - but it sure beats washing up by hand!
John :)

Hi buck51 unfortunately if I don't get an electric dishwasher soon the manual one is going to go on strike!

Thanks for the helpful post Burnerman (John). This leads me back to being interested in a slimline dishwasher, but my original problem of how do I alter the existing unit to accommodate one?

The model I am looking at measures 600mm depth, 850mm height and 450mm width.

Would I need to cut out the baseboard, fit a support in the middle of the sink, remove the back and fit another support and then plumb in?

I can't remember how the washing machine connects at the back but I don't envisage too much of an issue with this. I'd need a 'Y' connector for the washing machine and dishwasher to connect to the waste pipe right? and I couldn't use both at once or I'd have problems - shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The main problem is the unit...

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an integral dishwasher? I'm guessing it would fit into your existing left side of your cabinet and you could use the same door (possibly) Not sure if there are any obstructions such as sink overflow etc. Can't see a problem using a 'Y' connector and can't see a problem using them both at the same time. waste can be plumbed into the sink trap or a stand pipe.

You might be able to get some info on the appliance forum regards sizes etc.

Would still need to hack the cupboard about tho, as integrated ones are deisned to slot into units with no baseboard, and you need to ahev the right places to screw them to, they are more expensive as well.

I think I'd try cutting otu the baseboard, floor, and the front support if neccessary, and put in a bit of melamine faced chipboard across the middle as far as possible. Using this to support the top, the floor and the other bit of base board. The back is not normally structural, so I'd just cut that out. Might need to put a support in under the floor at the back.

Goign by the height of the washing machine you might get away without removing the top front crossbar, especially if you remove the top of the dishwasher.

Hi buck51 unfortunately if I don't get an electric dishwasher soon the manual one is going to go on strike!

Thanks for the helpful post Burnerman (John). This leads me back to being interested in a slimline dishwasher, but my original problem of how do I alter the existing unit to accommodate one?

The model I am looking at measures 600mm depth, 850mm height and 450mm width.

Would I need to cut out the baseboard, fit a support in the middle of the sink, remove the back and fit another support and then plumb in?

I can't remember how the washing machine connects at the back but I don't envisage too much of an issue with this. I'd need a 'Y' connector for the washing machine and dishwasher to connect to the waste pipe right? and I couldn't use both at once or I'd have problems - shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The main problem is the unit...

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Welllll this is where your carpentry skills / luck / imagination come into 'play.....you'll have to lose the left hand carcass door, middle and lower shelf and the plinth.....maybe the back too. I presume you don't want to take the base unit out for modification!
Not really a huge problem for a joiner, but naturally enough you would need a vertical filler strip 50mm wide to cover the remaining gap.
By being savage with the carcass parts that you definitely don't need, its usually easy enough to saw to an edge. You may be surprised how helpful a stanley knife and a straight edge can be.....!
If it means being with or without a dishwasher - hell I'd sure give it a go!

or buy a 500mm base unit to accommodate the sink bowl and get a 500mm wide dishwasher.

Welllll this is where your carpentry skills / luck / imagination come into 'play.....you'll have to lose the left hand carcass door, middle and lower shelf and the plinth.....maybe the back too. I presume you don't want to take the base unit out for modification!
Not really a huge problem for a joiner, but naturally enough you would need a vertical filler strip 50mm wide to cover the remaining gap.
By being savage with the carcass parts that you definitely don't need, its usually easy enough to saw to an edge. You may be surprised how helpful a stanley knife and a straight edge can be.....!
If it means being with or without a dishwasher - hell I'd sure give it a go!
Yup, as burnerman say, you'll need to get creative with the shelves and back. Leaving the left hand side vertical where it is you will need to get a piece of melamine to vertically panel what will be the left side of the single cabinet you will be left with under the sink bowl to stiffen and enclose that section. In effect leaving you with what you have at the washing machine at the moment.

Hello!

It is me again, I've done a bit of careful hacking and I'm getting there now; the unit under the draining board is pretty much removed.

My main issue now is it appears the kitchen was never fully tiled; it's only been done to just behind the unit base boards so I'm left with a large unfinished, uneven area where I need my slimline dishwasher to go - oh no!

This area is roughly 1/2" to 3/4" in depth from the top of the edges of the existing tiles.

The original floor is probably york stone, it looks as though they have probably put some kind of screed or concrete over this, tile adhesive and then tiles.

The tiles are porcelain, I was told this was used as it is impervious to damp, so it should keep the kitchen warmer and dryer.

Anyway what can I do in this area please to make it level for the dishwasher? How should I tackle this.. what tools and materials would be required?

I think I've got everything else covered..

Here is a couple of pictures (check out the groovy 70's wallpaper!);

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi,

Just a little bump to ask if anyone knows how I should go about levelling the floor please.

Thanks in advance :D

I think the easiest way would be to do exactly what they did.

Some leveling compound, then adhesive and get some tiles that are matched or as close as to the ones already down and set to the existing floor level?

Just make sure you protect the copper pipes running at the back from the compound/adhesive

Hi,

I have a couple of full tiles and some part tiles in the cellar left over from the previous owner but I'd need to buy the self-levelling compound, tile adhesive and grout..

Would it be possible to just put down some kind of concrete as a quicker and cheaper solution, or is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

Many thanks.

Typical pants ideal boiler installation there. Condensate drain runs uphill :rolleyes:

Anyway. Batten out the area and pour some self levelling latex screed in there. Remove battens and fit washer.

No point bodging these things. Especially now you've got this far. So protecting those pipes would be wise. Looks very tight though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back