Installing a Fence on a slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I am looking for a but of advice if possible please.

As you do over a bank holiday weekend we have decided to start installing a new fence on our garden boundary :D.

Though we knew our garden sloped we didnt take this into account when buying the gravel boards and posts. Silly us, but this is DIY right and we have not done this before.....

Anyway...our garden has a slight slope to it so now we are at panel 4 we have a big gap. We dont have the same size posts all the way along as we were always dropping from 5ft to 4ft panels down the garden (so we can chat to our neighbours).

BUT now have a big gap under our gravel board on the 4 panel section (see photo)...The question is what do we do now?

Of course we don't want it like this as cats/foxes etc will be able to get under it and we want to adopt hedgehogs so our garden has to be secure. (Plus it looks stupid).

I've googled for hours and cant seem to find a definitive answer/advice. We are happy for the next few panels to step down until the garden levels off again BUT each concrete post has a lip on it that the gravel boards were sitting on. Do we just chisel this out and the gravel boards sit directly on the ground?

Any help/advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Louise

Sponsored Links
I've not seen these posts with GB lips on them.

They sound like right boon if the fence is level and a right faff if not. We'd very likely be chiselling them off.

Standard practice is to either stagger the height of the fence in sequence with the differing ground level or double up the gravel boards.

Of course we don't want it like this as cats/foxes etc will be able to get under it and we want to adopt hedgehogs so our garden has to be secure.
It's a good job that cats and foxes can't climb over fences, then ;)

In any case, a cat would have to be pretty desperate to spend more than about 5 seconds trying to open a hedgehog, before thinking better of it.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Of course we don't want it like this as cats/foxes etc will be able to get under it and we want to adopt hedgehogs so our garden has to be secure.
It's a good job that cats and foxes can't climb over fences, then ;)

In any case, a cat would have to be pretty desperate to spend more than about 5 second trying to open a hedgehog, before thinking better of it.

Cheers
Richard

Haha - nice one Richard. Though in my defense what I meant was:

A cat/fox will go through a hole (some of the gaps were working out 1ft high) rather than jump over a 5ft fence panel - i know this because a neighbors cat has been doing it through a hole in their for months now.

I meant secure in the sense that the hedgehog cant get out of the garden and into someone elses. Some that you adopt are blind. Its more so we can look after it and have less places to look for it when its comes to feeding etc.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back