installing a gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question : I plan to install central heating, radiators etc. Can I also put the boiler on the wall, attach the water, flow and return pipes, and just get my gas safe registered engineer to pipe up the gas, and commission the appliance, or would I be contravening building regs?

Sponsored Links
speak to your installer, most would want to do the whole boiler bit.

You wouldn't be allowed to hang a gas boiler on the wall, fit the flue or the gas pipe.

You can do as much as you want, in so far as unless you have an accident, no-one will know. If you do try to get it certificated, be prepared that many RGI's won't be interested.

Sponsored Links
Hi Jake - I wouldn't want to fit the flue or do the gas work - but are you sure it contravenes regs not to hang the boiler - as in doing so, it will help me do a lot of the other no gas work?

Hi Jake - I wouldn't want to fit the flue or do the gas work - but are you sure it contravenes regs not to hang the boiler - as in doing so, it will help me do a lot of the other no gas work?

it is a definate contravention for a non gas guy to fit a boiler on a wall and get it signed of by his gas guy, the gas guy by signing it off has said he is responsible, did you fit the bracket properly using a suitable fixing? only you and he will know, and if he is happy then go ahead, you wont be the first to actually screw a bracket to a wall and hang a boiler on it

OK Kirkgas - thank you.

On this website : http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/boilers.htm

- it says this : "You can install a gas central heating system yourself but will need a Corgi registered installer to make the connection to the gas supply", but I do not know the quality of that statment.

I will try to look through the regs in a bit, but if you can direct me to anything ... I will speak with building control in the morning. My installer insn't around for two weeks, but last time I used him, I had all the pipework in place, in the right positions for him to hang the boiler, cut the hole for the flue, fit the flue and condensate pipe, and connect the gas - he did all the soldering for the gas. I thought I'd ask the legal situation, because I have just completed the flow and return, and would quite like to close the floorboards.

Cheers all.

i for one would not sign anyone elses work off. your installer must trust you with his life, cause if he didnt an it went tits up he goes to jail.. i wouldn't like to be you when he got out tho! just a thought like ;)

Your not allowed to hang the boiler. By you hanging a boiler you could be setting where the flue is going exit the property. Do you know minimum distances from openable windows, drain pipes etc ?

the regs are not exactly clear, and the issue of diyers doing anything gas related has been debated until the cows come home.
What it comes down to is the person putting their name to it. Once they've signed for it, its legal regardless of what you or anyone else has done. So the only person you need to worry about is the gas operative and what he's happy for you to do yourself.

... and also Jake, if I hang the boiler in the wrong position, my gas man won't put the flue out if it doesn;t meet regs will he?

Thanks micky.

... btw, in the past I used a corgi engineer (not my current one), and he installed my gas on a previous property - damn fool left flux all over the flexible pipe on the gas meter - anyone guess what happened a few weeks later?

Regarding going to jail - I assume that you mean that I might hang the boiler incorrectly and it falls on someone and kills them, because that is all I am suggesting - no gas work, no flue work.

As I say, will speak with BC in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back