Installing a gigabit network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on installing a gigabit network throughout the house so i can stream my media everywhere.

The issue i have is that i can't seem to find any Cat6 wall sockets that look reasonable to have in every room of my house. I've found plenty of Cat5 chrome finish wall sockets but only white in Cat6, and i dont fancy that industrial look.

Anyone know where i can get some?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how literally to take your question....

If your question is literally, why Cat6, the answer is because i want a gigabit network to cope with all the slingbox players streaming media everywhere. Cat6 cable is required for gigabit connectivity.

If you mean why Cat6 as opposed to Cat5e, then it's for better performance and to ensure future-proofing. As it happens, i can't find any decent Cat5e panels either!

redlagoon said:
Cat6 cable is required for gigabit connectivity.

Cat5e will support a gigabit network.

What does slingbox recommend?

You may be able to buy the keystone jacks and fix them to an standard face plate.

cnhmwl$1279729.jpg

Sponsored Links
Doc Lenny said:
redlagoon said:
Cat6 cable is required for gigabit connectivity.

Cat5e will support a gigabit network.

What does slingbox recommend?

You may be able to buy the keystone jacks and fix them to an standard face plate.

cnhmwl$1279729.jpg

Yes, Cat5e will be more than adequate for your requirements.

A good range of wallplates can be found here

Stozzer said:
CAT6 cable is just better quality it doesnt have any more wires than CAT5 and thus the equipment is interchangeable, you can use CAT5/CAT5e faceplates without any reduction in quality.

they have some CAT6 ones on the page that the man above me posted.

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Wall_Plates.html[/QUOTE]

CAT6 uses all 4 pairs, whereas CAT5 only uses 2. The quality of the ports/connectors is actually important if you want to achieve a true CAT6 environment.

Igorian said:
CAT6 uses all 4 pairs, whereas CAT5 only uses 2. The quality of the ports/connectors is actually important if you want to achieve a true CAT6 environment.

Look at the King, look at the King ...

Sorry, but this is BS. Yes CAT6 uses all 4 pairs, so make sure they are all connected. The quality of the gold on the terminals is the same.

Big_Nige said:
Igorian said:

Look at the King, look at the King ...

Sorry, but this is BS. Yes CAT6 uses all 4 pairs, so make sure they are all connected. The quality of the gold on the terminals is the same.

A little rude, but hey, there's always one. Are you related to Big_Spark?

I suggest you do some research re. the NEXT ratings of Cat5 vs Cat6 connectors.

Sponsored Links
Back