Installing a kitchen extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am looking to purchase my first property and would like to modernise and replace the current kitchen.

How difficult would it be for me to install an extractor fan above the cooker in this kitchen (on the red wall)? There is a combi gas boiler to the right with an exhaust leading outside.
I notice there is another air extractor further along the wall but nothing for the cooker:

img94joktmu74957_zpsxc96udmy.jpg

Here is a view of the fans from the outside:
img94joktmu74954_zpscs6dkqqb.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could run up to the first floor void and along to wall and out, fairly easy job if your joists run tyhe same way, or if not, replace the coving and run out along the ceiling, then out, even easier job, if you can avoid fouling boiler flue :)

You could run up to the first floor void and along to wall and out, fairly easy job if your joists run tyhe same way, or if not, replace the coving and run out along the ceiling, then out, even easier job, if you can avoid fouling boiler flue :)

Thanks, yes I was wondering if we could go up into the void but exactly as you said, I was concerned about which way the joists may be running. Directly above is a bathroom with vinyl flooring which would be a pest to remove and re-lay.

With your second suggestion, I presume you mean taking out the coving on the right hand wall above window and making a hole to outside from there and then replacing the coving? Have no experience of boilers and their flues but from some quick research, it looks as though any other vents (with non-return flaps on) need to be 30cm away from the boiler flue on the outside.

Yes, there is prolly a min distance you should adhere too. You can get flat 100mm extractor tube, run it flat along the ceiling, you may be able to squeeze it in past the boiler, if not and you want to keep to the 30mm you'd need to put a bend in it. I'm not sure if on that length of run you'd need an outside fan, you may do. Using core drill to cut the brick or knocking through a brick might be a pro job depending on how confident you are at diy.

Sponsored Links
No need to pipe it out of the house, use charcoal filters and recirc the air

In an ideal world, the flat channel system would go straight out of the wall, but with the boiler flue there, you can't do that, so are you prepared to have the outlet diverted across the ceiling.

If you don't want to lift the vinyl in the bathroom above (that's assuming the joists run the right way) then you're possibly only left with a recirculating vent, and upgrading the wall fan to take out the moisture.

Only if the airflow runs from hob to point of extraction and the extractor is turned on before cooking starts. The point of dedicated extraction is to remove the moist air (and cooking odours) as close to point of production rather than allowing it to circulate within the property.

Current thinking is to have a continuous extractor in kitchens (and bathrooms), with boost, and this will deal with moisture from cooking.

Change the fan to a suitable modern unit, and use a filter on the cooker hood to deal with grease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back