Installing a Photocell Kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 10w LED security light at my house connected to an on off switch.
I wanted to install a dusk to dawn photocell kit.

I thought it would just be a simple case of connecting the live and neutral to it and then to the kit.

The instructions are indicating that I will need to route the wires into a ballast which I don’t have and then to the light.

My question is can I do this myself as a DIYer?

Any guidance as to what I need to purchase in the way of a ballast would be appreciated. Is this something of a simple job or should I not cross the line and employ an electrician which I did not want to do if it’s a straight forward DIY job.

Thanks
:confused:

Sponsored Links
I doubt it will be a ballast, do you have a link to the instructions of the photocell?
Some fancy switches only have two wires and require a minimum loading to work, others have a neutral connection and work with low wattage items. There is a capacitor that can be installed as a retrofit to allow two wire units to be used in some instances.

Ah, you are maybe looking at the wrong diagram - these type of photocells are used in street lighting applications too.

Lin is the supply live
Lout is the switch live to the lamp live
N is for the neutral, the lamp needs a neutral too.
Photocell probably doesn't need an earth, your lamp fitting should have one run to it tho.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.
The Cell has no earth. The lamp does, so that will be fine.

Just to clarify. I take the Live to the Lin on the Cell and then take the live out from Lo to the Live on the lamp.
Then Neutral to N in the Cell and then a Neutral from the Cell out to the lamp. Will this be all OK?

The instruction leaflet diagram has only one drawing of these wires coming out of the Cell and into a block and it says Ballast under it.
Thanks

Yep, sounds right.
You may need to invest in a waterproof jb, four glands and some 4 core (3 core + earth) to link up to the photocell, although the photocell doesn't require an earth it is good practice to run one up to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back