Installing a Shower Pump to an existing Gravity Fed Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at installing a shower pump to my existing gravity fed shower. I have read numerous posts on the forum after doing a search, but am still slighlty confused! (Some would say thats not hard)

The current arrangement is plumbed in as follows, this is how it was done when the house was new.

The cold has a separate feed off the cold water tank in the loft runs approx 8' along floor of loft then down wall to mixer (Mira 88)

The hot is fed as follows:- There is a single pipe coming vertical out of the hot water tank, which after 6' turns 90 degrees for another 6-8' before it is T piece off on the vertical. Now looking at the pipe run, the pipe that runs down from this T joint is, I guess, the hot water feed for the rest of the house. The pipe that runs up from the T piece goes into the loft loops round up over and ends above the cold water tank, and I guess this is the vent for the hot water system.

As this vent pipe passes through the ceiling/loft floor there is another T joint which then feeds the hot water supply to the shower.

The shower head is approx 2 1/2' below the cold water tank but is above the hot water tank.

I was originally going to add a pump to the two runs in the loft as this is the easiest, installation wise, place to fit it. After having read the forum I am now concerned that air would get trapped!

Also if I try to fit the pump somewhere in the air cupboard then obviously the cold feed is miles away in the loft!

So after that long build up heres the questions:-

As there is currently no problems with air in the shower system would the fitting of a pump (positive head ) in the pipe run in the loft work? (Obviously I would have to protect against frost etc)

Is the only way is having to change the pipework in airing cupboard with a new flange, (Surrey, Essex, etc) then completely repipe the hot and cold feed to the shower?

Any other suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice given

Sponsored Links
As there is currently no problems with air in the shower system would the fitting of a pump (positive head ) in the pipe run in the loft work? (Obviously I would have to protect against frost etc)

Is the only way is having to change the pipework in airing cupboard with a new flange, (Surrey, Essex, etc) then completely repipe the hot and cold feed to the shower?

Any other suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice given

you can fit the pump in loft cut straight into the cold feed.
fit a surrey flange to the hot run a new pipe into loft then where it t's off existing pipework cap that off , then join your new pipe to existing shower hot feed.
after the surry flange you must fit a gravity loop

Thanks for the quick reply and comments.

I contacted Salamander with regard to which pump to use, and the have suggested the RHP75 as after carrying out a natural flow test it would seem the shower has a positive head.

I just wondering why they suggested this one as it seems to be designed for pumping the whole house rather than the RSP75.

The did suggest the ESP75CPV if it was negative head.

Anyway I digress from topic of thread, thanks once again for your speedy reply.

I had a twin impella pump fitted last week. My plumber tapped into the top of the cylinder using the new Wessex flange (not Essex) with air release mechanism to avoid air locks, and then ran a new feed from the cold water storage tank into the other inlet. Works a treat good pump £98.00 from tool staion free delivery next day job done. Fiddly though

Sponsored Links
LMAO, i only noticed after i'd posted it and felt a right knob lol. He's probably done the job and since moved house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back