installing airvents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I will be installing air vents into the exterior walls around my house. The problem is the walls are 3ft thick mixed stone and rubble. There are a few places where I can find spots to dig through and I can keep the air flowing around the sub floor o.k. but the hire places just give me the old slow head shake with the tut tut tut when I ask about cutting or drilling through. Any advice? Thanks, Jonny.

Sponsored Links
I have a rock and rubble house, walls 24" thick. Knock out a suitable stone on the out side and inside. then fish out enough rubble to give a clear air passage. Line the hole with a tube of visquerene or similar plastic. Make good outside with air vent padded out with mortar and stones.
When you drill right through the wall, you will hit some snags, as you pierce the skin nearest you, you will hit the side of a super sized pebble, this will deflect or jam your drill. If by waggling the drill about you get it to go past the loose fill and drill through the other skin, you will find that on withdrawing the drill, the loose fill will drop and obstruct the path between the two holes in the skins. Hence biting the bullet and start of by making a hole you can get your hand inside to remove the loose fill.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back