Installing an Awning in yellow brick ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought an awning/canopy to put up outside/over my rear patio doors...the awning came with 4 fairly he3fty expansion bolts.

I want to place these in the brickwork above the doors but am concerned the brick is not strong enough to hold...it`s yellow brick and the house was built around 1935/1940...it`s in good condition but with a heavy load I wonder how to secure it ?

The awning itself is 3 metres long and is pretty heavy so I thought of using the expansion bolts along with some kind of chemical fixing to ensure permanent fixing in the wall...can I use the expansion bolts and a chemical fixing together ?

Has anybody some advice to give please ?...any help is very welcome !

Thanks,

Stephanovich

Sponsored Links
I will add that I have already attempted to put these threaded expansion bolts into the wall,but on tightening,they seemed to want to pull themselves out...way too far,so obviously there is not enough grip inside the hole so I thought of the chemical fixing along with the bolts for a secure fixing...would not want to see this fall on anybody's head !

Resin and expanding bolts dont go together, its one or the other..
Try Hilti HIT-HY 70 resin and threaded rod

Thanks for the reply and info...can I use the threaded bolt ? ie,just not use the sleeve ?

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't need a sleeve for bricks, unless there's cavities inside the brick..

Thanks again....what I mean is can I use the chemical fixing with the bolt that I already have (threaded) ?

Or should I use a longer threaded bolt ?

The bolt I have is 95mm long...but the awning is 3m with 2,5m extension...it is very heavy.

The resin will work with alot of things, but the simplest would be to get a length of threaded rod (cut to size probably) and resin that in place as it will be easier to get level and in right location. Then pop a nut on the end when the awning is in place..

Thickness of the rod will be determined by the weight of the awning, and depth will be on how far the awning comes away from the building when fully stretched.. most manufacturers will recommend a bolt size so use same sized rod..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back