installing an electric oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed my new oven using a 6mm cable from the fuse box to the back of the oven via a cooker switch and wall plate. fuse is 32a.
the oven worked fine for a few days but now there is no life !! no lights or power to display. I have checked cable and all ok, and fuse has not blown. Am I using the correct size cable , all wired using 6mm.
oven output rating is 3400w.
thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say why you have lost power, did you install the appliance to the manufacturers instructions?
6mm cable is suitably rated for 32A current and the output power is not excessive to cause an overload.
What you need to do now, is investigate.
First thing I would do is check for voltage at the outlet plate for the cooker.
If non there you have a fault further down, so then check at isolater, then back at CU. Check the conductors are in the terminals. That includes the MCB and neutral bar.
Also checking for continuity will be helpful.
Is there any RCD protection on circuit, that may have tripped.
If power at outlet, then check at cooker terminals, if power there.
Contact the appliance suppliers, as it is faulty!

thanks so much for your reply.
I have checked all the wiring and its all ok, the fuse did not blow at the cu.
We disconnected the cable from the cooker and put a socket on the end and it was working fine, so we must have purchased a duff cooker !
is it ok to connect another 6mm cable into the plate for the hob ? we have not done that yet ,

thanks

matt

Did you connect the the cable/flex between outlet plate and the appliance as that could be the problem. If it was already fitted with the appliance, then you need to contact suppliers as they are responsible.
The hob connection can be done using a dual outlet plate, but the output rating of the hob, will need to be confirmed so that both appliance will not cause overload issues on 32A.
Diversity can be factored in, but will need to know output ratings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back