Installing central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing central heating in a new build or normal house, do you pay any attention to which side of the rad you take the flow and return to so there all the same, or not?

Sponsored Links
Generally it's flow into the TRV and return out of the lockshield, but with modern bi-directional TRVs that don't chatter when the water is flowing the "wrong" way through them it's not such an issue

So it doesn't matter as long as you have a flow and return to each rad. It isn't needed at the same side

If you're asking whether they all need to enter the left hand side of a rad, for example, then no they don't. I generally position the TRVs towards the middle of the room rather than in a corner though, and if you're going to run the flow to the TRVs in every instance then this is worth considering

Sponsored Links
Because I fit things to a micro idealism situation then I fit the TRVs ( and flow ) at the cooler end such as towards an external wall if not actually on an ext wall.

But then accessibility to the TRV is also very important as well.

Tony

Just wondered if I need to take the flow to the same side on every rad or if I don't need to and just get a flow and return to each rad, regardless of which side I put they go to?

it doesn't matter what side of rad you put flow into,as said before, put trv on side where heating flow pipe meets the rad. you can put flow on either side of rad, if that is what your asking.

Thanks, have messed around following my pipes so I got flow on the right to every rad.

why are you obsessed about putting flow on right of rad, i normally put flow (try) closer to the middle of room ,why, i won't get into now.

I am just asking if I need to pay attention to which side of the rad I take the flow to or does it not matter i.e trv can be fit on the return?

. you can put trv on return but won't work most efficiently, need to be bi- directional valves thou , as mentioned above, please read all posts to get answer you need. but if you have one pipe system ( i think you don't have ) trv needs to be on flow.

Because I fit things to a micro idealism situation then I fit the TRVs ( and flow ) at the cooler end such as towards an external wall if not actually on an ext wall.

Tony
Turn it in FFS....you get worse...WTF is a 'micro idealism situation"?
Makes no difference where the sensor head is FFS.
If only you realised just how annoying you are.

what is "micro idealism situation" suppose to mean anyway,?? thought i was missing something

Hey Tony , would you say crushing copper tube with a vice is a 'micro idealism situation'?.....it is what you advised when running a gas supply behind a soil/vent stack..
Although it was laughed @ when you suggested this method in the combustion chamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back