Installing door from house to integral garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we’re in the process of extending which will include adding a door to allow access from the house to an integral garage. I’m aware that a fire door is required for this purpose, but I’m concerned about security as it wouldn’t take much for someone to break in through the garage and from there gain access to the house. Is someone able to recommend a particular type of door for this purpose? Any links you could provide would be much appreciated, as I can’t seem to find a definitive answer on this.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is it wise in principle to have a door direct from the house into the garage? If you are on holiday, and someone breaks into the garage, they will have the tools, time and cover to force the door.

Many houses are built like that. Ask your local crime prevention policeman....they will be delighted to have some interest.

Sponsored Links
Based on that logic it seems stupid to put glass in windows that can be broken or doors that can be kicked in!

Install a FD60 door with compliant frame and good quality deadlocks.

The point is that an internal door between the garage and house is completely hidden from view, so that a burglar can work on it undetected.

Understood but so is a rear door in an enclosed garden or a side door

Good fittings will deter them and make entry difficult enough that the effort required make the risk outweigh the benefit

If needs be the outer garage door can be made more secure - internal drop posts or better internal bolts.

Don't let the fear of lowlife spoil your lifestyle

Understood but so is a rear door in an enclosed garden or a side door

Good fittings will deter them and make entry difficult enough that the effort required make the risk outweigh the benefit

If needs be the outer garage door can be made more secure - internal drop posts or better internal bolts.

Don't let the fear of lowlife spoil your lifestyle

Any external door, whether in an enclosed rear garden or on the side, cannot be as vulnerable as an internal door which is, by definition, completely enclosed and hidden from view.
Too many people have a flimsy back door on the garage and, once in, a burglar has the cover to work on the house door. People also store tools in the garage which are easily to hand for the burglar. In older houses, a spade or similar implement can be used to lever out the frame from the brickwork - this happened to a neighbour of ours.

Many houses are built like that. .

Agreed; and it's a stupid idea.
But, having lived in a house like that, I can tell you that it's really, really convenient - and I've missed that since we moved. Mind you, this was back in the days when standard locks were of the sort where we knew we could pop round to a neighbour to borrow their keys if we forgot ours :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back