1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Installing Extractor Fan to an Air Brick?!? Eeeeek!

Discussion in 'Building' started by DIYSparky, 16 Oct 2007.

1. DIYSparky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I'm installing an extractor fan in a bathrrom that previously only had a an air brick and a louvre ventilator (is that the right name? Some slots that are always open). However I'm struggling to know the best way to do it, any advice would be very much appreciated.

The diagram shows roughly what the situation is. The pink colur is where the ventilator used to be, it's now been removed and just the hole is there. The blue bit is the air brick. The green bit is mortar or something similar. The red bits are brick work. I'm on the 3rd storey of a block of flats so accessing from the outside is effectively impossible for me.

Can anyone advise what the best way of installing the extractor fan would be? Is it possible to connect the ducting from the extractor fan directly on to the airbrick so I don't have to drill through the brick itself? I don't have the drill accessory to drill a 100mm hole through the wall so would have to hire or buy one hence I'd prefer not to if at all possible.

Much appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers,
    Aaron

[​IMG]

2. noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can successfully vent the fan via the airbrick. it will be more efficient if you pack insulation around any voids that are not part of the ducting apparatus.

in other words, if you stick a 4" pipe up to a 9"x9" air brick fill the void surrounding the pipe.

3. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I did one I used a piece of WBP to fit the hole in the wall, with a hole in the middle to fit the fan.

There was enough room in the thickness of the wall to put the bit of board and the fan inside it, and just have a grille showing.

4. DIYSparky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, I've got some flexible piping and some insulation stuff left over from insulating the inside of some stud walls. I'll give it a go.
    Thanks for you replies.
    Aaron

5. daytona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    use a piece of solid duct inside the void for the airbrick and pack some insulation round it so it doesnt move about.put a backdraft shutter on the ducting so the air can only pass in one direction.nothing worse than cold air coming through the front of the fan when its not in use.or alternatively,use a centrifugal fan

6. ModernMaterials

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    my 2p's worth:

Temporarily fix the vent up to the airbrick and insulate with aerosol foam

7. yorkshirelad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I have just had exactly this done in my bathroom, I wondered what sort of insulation i should pack the void out with. I have some left over standard loft stuff, or should i go for something with a little more rigidity (and humidity resistance?) like the kingspan board or polystyrene.
    Cheers

8. Perry525

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you have a clay air brick, it is best to set the outlet some way back from the air brick to benefit from the extra holes, this will save the load on the fan motor.
    As its a bathroom, whatever type of fan you fit, be it with shutter or not, it is a good idea to fit an airtight box, with an opening door, to stop those nasty drafts when the fan is not in use.
    Also keep in mind that, the fan needs to pull air from somewhere to expel with your water vapour, a better idea, but more expensive, it to fit a fan with a built in heat exchanger, this will ensure that the fan does not struggle and does not cause drafts elsewhere.