Installing French electric radiator with electronic control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I bought an electric radiator with a built-in timer from a local DIY superstore (in France), to install in a bathroom. I could see that it came with a bare wire, and was planning to fit a 3 pin plug in the normal way, but I now see that the wires are not the colours I was expecting, nor are they described in the usual way. What I have is Brown – Phase; Grey – Neutral; Black – Fil Pilote.

Can anyone tell me whether it is okay to put a 3 pin plug on this, and in which case, which wire goes where? I have never come across a Fil Pilote before!

Incidentally, the location for fitting it in the bathroom is well away from anywhere that it could be accidentally splashed with water.

Many thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
From a quick google it seems the "Fil Pilote" is some sort of control wire and doesn't appear to be essential.

I'd suggest connecting the live and neutral to the plug as normal and leaving the "fil pilote" wire disconnected (cut it back or tape it up so it can't short to anything else in the plug).

From a quick google it seems the "Fil Pilote" is some sort of control wire and doesn't appear to be essential.

I'd suggest connecting the live and neutral to the plug as normal and leaving the "fil pilote" wire disconnected (cut it back or tape it up so it can't short to anything else in the plug).

agreed, had the same thing on a towel rail last year, "fil pilote" is a wire that is used to run back to a central programmer and is not necessary for the normal operation of the rail.

Sponsored Links

agreed, had the same thing on a towel rail last year, "fil pilote" is a wire that is used to run back to a central programmer and is not necessary for the normal operation of the rail.

Thank you both for this. Can you just tell me if you think the inbuilt timer on the radiator will work if I don't connect the fil pilote to anything?

Back