Installing induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this question in the wrong place first I think.

I thought this was going to be relatively easy - buy an induction hob, get it installed - but it's sounding like it's not as easy as I thought.

The hob will be going above a 600mm cupboard. Inside the cupboard is an internal drawer, a shelf, then another internal drawer.

I've just been at them with a magnet and the drawer sides are magnetic - will this cause a problem?

I spoke to a guy at Siemens and he said it might and I'd need a blanking plate. Once I picked myself up off the floor at the price, I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary?

I might be able to rejig the cupboard internals and do the shelf then the two drawers. Would that make a difference?

If there's a big enough gap between the bottom of the hob and the top of the drawer, would that make a difference?

I just seen that Ikea do a hob separator for installing above a drawer - it's hugely cheaper than the Siemen's blanking plate - is this the type of thing I'll be needing?

Mind you, I've still to decide between Siemen's, Neff and Ikea - Ikea is certainly cheaper and has a 5 year warranty as opposed to Siemen's and Neff's two year warranty........

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't an oven be magnetic if there were one beneath the hob?

There is a difference between being magnetic and being a magnet.
Surely the separator is just that; so you can't touch the underside of the hob.

I've just been at them with a magnet and the drawer sides are magnetic - will this cause a problem?
It's not the drawer itself that could be a problem - it's what could be put into the drawer. The separator is there to prevent objects in the drawer damaging the underside of the hob.
Some hobs also have sharp pointy bits on the underside, which could cause injury if someone reached into the drawer.

Whether items in the drawer, the drawer itself or anything else underneath are metal or not is of no relevance.

Thank you. It's just rolls of tin foil, clingfilm mainly in that drawer. I'm really not sure why I thought the drawer would be a problem. There's also a good 12cm gap between the bottom of the hob and the top of the drawer

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant, thank you. I eventually made my mind up and ordered a Siemens.

I want to be organised for this getting done and have everything that's needed for the install.

I just want to check what I need - a 32 amp circuit breaker? What size of cable will be needed to run from the consumer unit to the hob? Is it just ordinary cable or do I need something different (I'm sure I saw somewhere about heat resistant cable or something?)

The magnetic induction circuit is restricted to metal an inch or so below the surface of the hob and the base of the pan on the hob. There is no significant magnetic flux ( from the hob ) outside the casing of the hob.

Disclaimer. That is true of hobs from reputable manufacturers. low cost items of dubious origin may not have such tightly constrained magnetic flux when operating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back