Installing nest thermostat, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies, posted this in elctrics, meant to put it in heating. So i have tried to move it or delete it without success.

I have an ideal classic boiler and a lifestyle LP241 programmer, no thermostat on the system. I can turn heating and water on and off separately or together.

I want to swap the programmer for the nest heatlink and then control it with the nest thermostat third gen (which says it can control hot water).

My existing programmer has the following wires.
Live
Neutral
Earth

HW ON
CH ON
HW OFF

The heatlink appears to ask for four wires, hence my confusion. It asks for CH Call for heat (i presume this means on), CH common, HW call for heat and HW common. On the basis that hte old programmer had only heating on, i have tried not having a heating common - but nothing works. What am i missing?

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Aha, you may have solved the problem. I will swap them and come back in a minute.
Thank you, hopefully

Last edited:
Alas, it still doesnt work (but thanks for your interest so far).

Here is how i thought i should transfer the wires, although it has not worked. If anybody can see what i have done wrong, i wouuld be really grateful.

My first try
Old LP241. New nest
CH on. CH call for heat
HW on. HW call for heat
HW off. HW common

After reading the above post i tried the following, but no good. I must have misunderstood your comment?
Old LP241. New nest
CH on. CH common
HW on. HW common
HW off. HW call for heat

Sponsored Links
Ah sorry, I missed the HW OFF connection.

Therefore you do not have enough terminals on the nest.

What sort of boiler and system do you have?

Thank you for keeping on trying to help. If i can check i am about to do the right thing then....

What was Will now be
L241. Nest
CH ON. CH COMMON
HW ON. HW ON
HW OFF. HW satisfied

Thanks

Come on guys it's only a Nest stat!
N Neutral
L Permanent live
1 Not used
2 Connect a wire link to the L terminal
3 Connect your Heating on wire
4 Connect your HW off wire
5 Connect a wire link to terminal 2
6 Connect your HW on wire

Ok, so i hadnt tried any wire links. Will try your version echo, you seem to be ok with it efl :)

Cross fingers, il lreport back soon, off to find some wire....

I've just scrolled down and noticed they do actually provide a wiring diagram in the manual!
nest y.png

You are true gentlemen, both of you.

I couldnt make head or tail of the diagram, as i couldnt correlate it to the on/ off wires i had.

Thankd guys, i can havea bath now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back