installing new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am preparing to install a new consumer unit to replace the old style rewireable fuse type. I am fairly confident of what i am doing and can isolate the fuse board ok but am i legally allowed to carry out this job not being a trained electrician. Thanks

Sponsored Links
At present i have a 80 amp rcd supplying my old style fuse box. The new cu is a split load type with 100 amp 2p isolator and 80 amp 30ma rcd. I need to remove the old existing rcd but should i replace this with a new 100 amp isolator or i have a 100 amp mcb, would the mcb be ok to save me buying a new isolator

What earthing system does the property have? Whats the earth loop resistance measure at? If you dont know, please get someone in who actually does know what they're doing. These 2 criteria are absolutely critical to decide what sort of consumer unit to buy, and what combination of RCD, time delay RCD and MCBs to choose. You need special equipment to test the earth fault loop.

Do you have the facility to test all the circuits to see if they are suitable for MCB protection, and to test the installation afterwards to check everything is in working order? (clue - answer is no. more special equipment needed, and also essential measurements)

You are going to be altering every single circuit in your house. think of the safety of your kids and wife before the cost of hiring a pro.

Do you know how to safely isolate the mains to the consumer unit and that old RCD?

Sponsored Links
Bermuda

I agree with crafty. Get a professional to do the job. With jobs like this you cant afford to take chances. Just think if your house burns down you will probably find that your not insured if the work is found to be faulty. In addition you will really upset Ron.

If the cost of a pro is prohibitive, perhaps a family member (brother) or friend could assist free of charge if they have the appropriate qualifications and skills. I think in this case safety should be seen as the main driver.

Good Luck :confused:

Thanks for all advice given. I now have a nice new CU fitted by a very qualified electrician. I appreciate bacardi breezer, crafty and hartleys advice but just a quick word of advice for yourself please try and get a life and find something more interesting than posting patronising replies on this site. Cheers

Note cables are likely to need upgrading also. You are likely to have only 16 or poss 10mm tails and smaller earth.

No i really did get a qualified spark to do the job. 25mm tails and new 10mm earth to gas pipe and stop cock. He tells me everything is now spot on. I hope so it cost enough

Bermuda wrote

I appreciate bacardi breezer, crafty and hartleys advice but just a quick word of advice for yourself please try and get a life and find something more interesting than posting patronising replies on this site.

bermuda, your an idiot. you asked for advice on this forum and when you dont get the response you want you start slaggin people off.

'resident' sparkys on this site always try and help out and give advice but if the the job is beyond a person (as is the case with you) they wont hesitate to say ''get a pro in''

apology's for the rant people but some posts just make you wanna scream! :eek:

I just got a new dremel drill, can I become a dentist?
:D

Leave it to someone qualified, as you home insurance will not pay out - unless you can prove your competence

IMO if a competent Diyer wants advise on domestic electrical work they should try another DIY forum because this one in going down hill fast.

Anyone who pretends that (with the right advise) changing a domestic CU like for like is difficult has either never done one or they've got their head up their arse.

Testing? The disconnection times will be better regardless of testing, a split load board with an RCD will improve things no end.....and as for PP, let the poster make up their own mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back