Installing outside lights off an existing lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four outside lights to install off an existing lighting circuit (ceiling rose). All cable can run inside the house, just passing through the wall where they need too. I want to run all four off a single light switch.

Could somebody please explain the best way to wire these up?

I understand how to do it using a junction box system but as this would require the box to be concealed within the ceiling, I believe this isn't an option anymore.

Sponsored Links
The best way is to run a perm live, neutral and earth to a wall switch; then run a cable to the lights.

Depending on how much cable you feel like running, you can either
1) run a cable from switch to the first light, then onto the next light, then onto the next light, etc.
2) run a separate cable from the switch to each light. This option will probably use more cable, but you will only have one cable at each light to have to terminate. Also, you will have the option of individually switching some or all of them later. Also you will be able to disconnect one light in the future if you decide it's no longer needed.

Use a 25 mm deep back box. Connect all earths to appropriate earth terminals. Connect neutrals in a connector block. Connect perm live to one side of the switch. Connect lives going to lights on the other side of the switch.

Some people will bang on about the advantages of using a double pole switch.

[bang]Such advantages becoming very apparent the first time water creates a N-E fault in an light....[/bang]

;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back