Installing own central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at installing my own central heating system and was wondering where I can get the info on how to calculate correct size rads and pipes etc. I've fitted a bathroom before but nothing on this scale. I was planning on using polypipe to make it easier etc. Obviosly gas will be carried out by a gas safe plumber.
Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure they go in depth enough some how.

How can you tell? The one I read covered all the plumbing, no electrics but you can get wiring plans from the control manufacturers. As for gas that's also not covered, but then you're not doing that.

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is to find a gas registered engineer who will agree to do what you need.

The absolute minimum he should do according to the regulations is:-

Fit boiler hanging bracket.

Fit flue

Fit and test gas supply

Commission boiler

Complete Benchmark Certificate

Notify Building Control.

Tony

The first thing to do is to find a gas registered engineer who will agree to do what you need.

The absolute minimum he should do according to the regulations is:-

Fit boiler hanging bracket.

Fit flue

Fit and test gas supply

Commission boiler

Complete Benchmark Certificate

Notify Building Control.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Yes that sounds like a good idea, I will have to find someone that is willing to do them bits for me.
I wanted to do as much as possible which I was thinking would include hanging and connecting up the boiler (apart from the gas and flue)
So what you are saying that the boiler should also be fitted by the plumber?

What he's advising you is to get an RGI onside first. You may find it difficult later. For example I've no objection to competent DIYers but wouldn't share a heating job with any.

What he's advising you is to get an RGI onside first. You may find it difficult later. For example I've no objection to competent DIYers but wouldn't share a heating job with any.

I know what you mean, I'm a spark myself and DIYers doing my job is always slightly dangerous...
As long as I leave the gas to the experts.... what could possibly go wrong? :LOL: :oops:

I'll get my diy book out... ;)

If you do most of the work yourself you'll take away their profit. They don't like that. :cry:

So they won't do it. It's all part of the MC code.

In reality all you want them to do is to connect the gas - 2 hour job at most. £60.

You mean you stand around drinking tea then go home without pay? You kidding me aren't you?

DIY er can't hang the boiler - a GasSafe registered person must hang it - they won't put their name to it if there is any risk of it partially or fully coming off the wall at any later stage.

There are warranty issues with the boiler if the water side has problems of contamination or flow issues.

A reasonable gas person will do what's required if they trust that you won't be calling them with problems after commisioning, problems that might not be related to their own handiwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back