installing pitched roof on conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finished bricking and blocking up my two skin brickwork conservatory up to plate height of my bungalow. I had building control out to check the foundations of the existing structure and unfortunately as suspected they are not suitable to take the load of a pitched roof. The roof was a glass paneled roof previously. Therefore I have started to underpin the front wall of the structure, digging out at the moment. I have hit sand and gravel around 600mm under the existing.

There are two main technical parts to the build:
1. I have been told that I can support the new roof by using two beams supported from the block work of the now supported front wall and the bungalow. This will save underpinning the other two side walls.

2. The extension will be opened up into the kitchen. Therefore I would love to have a nice flat ceiling between the two rooms. Therefore I need to support the trusses of the bungalow and the two new beams for the new roof on one beam. The trusses will be cut back and hung off truss hangers. The two beams will be hung off the same beam at the same height as the bungalow trusses.

Has anyone had experience or general advice on these next stages?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back