Installing pull cord in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken a wire from my garage single bulb out to my shed and believe have done everything correctly but the fuse blows everytime I pull the cord of the new shed light.

My only vague area is in the pull cord housing, com I have inserted the live wire from the new wire I have put in from the existing light. L1 houses the live going to ceiling rose and L2 the neutrals from the ceiling rose line and the new wire where the live has gone into the com?

Does this make sense? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the two neutals out and join them together in a piece of chock block.

Will try that thanks so much. So that will leave me with just the live going through the pull cord unit is that right?

Yes, just wondering if you should have installed a DP switch for isolation if the shed is free standing, or is the shed built onto the garage? Also if you are installing outside wiring it may be notifiable under part p.

Sponsored Links
Chrishartley said:
Will try that thanks so much. So that will leave me with just the live going through the pull cord unit is that right?

How does the cable travel to the shed? Underground? Overground? Wombling free? Cos I would imagine power of any sort to an outbuilding is subject to all manner of regs.

RMS said:
Brittish Standard 7671.

I'm sure the OP would be aware of that..... given that he was having trouble with the easy bit at the other end. :confused:

The biggest one is the building regs, bs7671 is in itself non-statutory but can be used to attain compliance with part p of the building regs, notifications to LABC is also laid down in law for certain works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back