Installing RJ45 Etherenet cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AS we are laying a wooden flooring, I need to run some Ethernet RJ45 cables from myfibre optic broadband router in one room, to my Audio/Video equipment in the other room, Under the floorboards. the run is upto 15M and have at least three items that id like to hardwire into the system.
Firstly I have a few questions, are CAT5 and CAT6 the same except CAT6 can handle faster speed/data etc etc. If so im assuming its best to use CAT6 to get the best out or the broadband connection especially over a long run of cable.

I looked at purchasing a tool set to make the leads up off EBAY, rather than just buy the leads. I would then have the means to make others as and when required. HOWEVER is it really an EASY DIY job to use these EBAY kits and get a decent result. my skill level isnt pro by any means, but I have fitted alarms and phone lines to a good standard in the past so Im not too clumsy.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Network-E...rkingTools_Accessories_SM&hash=item48674e81c6

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
AS we are laying a wooden flooring, I need to run some Ethernet RJ45 cables from myfibre optic broadband router in one room, to my Audio/Video equipment in the other room, Under the floorboards. the run is upto 15M and have at least three items that id like to hardwire into the system.
Firstly I have a few questions, are CAT5 and CAT6 the same except CAT6 can handle faster speed/data etc etc. If so im assuming its best to use CAT6 to get the best out or the broadband connection especially over a long run of cable.
Cat5 is an older standard. Unfortunately the standard left out some critical performance figures so while it will usually support gigabit it can't be gauranteed. Virtually no new kit sold today is cat5.
Cat5e is an updated version of the cat5 standard. It's more than adequate for home networking needs. It's fine for gigabit at the full 100 meter length, some vendors have advertised 10 gigabit on it over very short runs but afaict such use is nonstandard.
Cat6 is a standard designed to support higher frequencies supporting 10 gigabit over short runs, it's overk
Cat6a is an upgraded version of cat6 designed to support 10 gigabit at the full 100 meter length. It's kinda pricy though.

I looked at purchasing a tool set to make the leads up off EBAY,
Ahh ebay the home of cheap TAT sold with self-contradictory adverts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Network-E...ls_Accessories_SM&hash=item48674e81c6[/QUOTE]

That advert is self contradictory. On the one hand it says the cable is not twisted pair. On the other hand it says it's "Suited for 10Mbps/100Mbps/1000Mbps network". Only one of those can be true.

The cable is also advertised as coper clad alumininum. This is slightly cheaper than solid copper but the long term reliability is questionable given that all the stadnards specify/assume solid copper.

The advert does not explicitly state what cable type the RJ45 connectors are suitable for. Some are only suitable for solid core ("installation") cable, some are only suitable for stranded core ("patch") cable. Using the wrong ones will result in unreliable terminations. Having been bitten by this in the past I refuse to buy RJ series connectors from any seller who doesn't explictly state this.

is it really an EASY DIY job
Crimping RJ series connectors onto twisted pair cables takes some practice to get right and is generally a fiddly and annoying process. You will probablly ruin some connectors and have to cut them off while practicing.

Proffesional installs usually use wallports and patch panels rather than putting plugs directly on the cables that are installed in the walls. These use "punchdown blocks" similar to those used for phone connections which are much quicker and easier to terminate than plugs. Downside is the extra expense of the wallports, patch panel and the short patch leads to connect to them. Note that punchdowns are ONLY suitable for use with solid core cable

Using ready made patch leads for fixed installations is probablly a bad idea, the size of the connector means you will have to drill much bigger holes and they will be made of stranded cable which will be a problem if you ever want to replace the dangling cable with a proper wall port.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
takes some practice to get right
certainly does.
Solid ethernet cable shouldn't have a plug on the end, it should terminate on a patch panel. Fortunately it is really easy to connect with a push down tool. Buy patch leads to connect the patch panel socket to your equipment.
I used to buy things from netshop
You should be able to find a patch panel with just a few sockets, this http://www.netshop.co.uk/product/10...els/24-port-cat6-utp-value-pcb-patch-panel-1u is probably too many.

Cable here http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-bulk-cable/59-cat6-utp-pvc-solid-cable-reel.html

Sponsored Links
That advert is self contradictory. On the one hand it says the cable is not twisted pair. On the other hand it says it's "Suited for 10Mbps/100Mbps/1000Mbps network". Only one of those can be true.

The cable is also advertised as coper clad alumininum. This is slightly cheaper than solid copper but the long term reliability is questionable given that all the stadnards specify/assume solid copper.
That cable sounds more like alarm cable.

Copper Clad Aluminium, CCA, cable is often sold as cat5 or cat6 cable whereas they simply cannot be as the spec. for these cables say solid copper!

Plus it is laid down in the specification the rate of twisting for each pair so again non twisted pair is NOT cat5 or cat6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back