Installing shelves in brick wall - best fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing some shelves in a room and would appreciate some advice on how best to fix the shelves to the wall.

The shelving system is from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/departments/form...eature-wall-storage-kit-w250cm/1164109_BQ.prd

I will fit the rails into a brick wall - I've attached photos of the brick.

The shelving system works on rails. The holes in the rails are 5mm big. The shelves are fairly heavy, and I'd like them to support books so I expect a fair bit of weight on the shelves.

Here are my questions:

1. What fittings should I use? Expanding rawlbolts (not sure if these actually come in a small enough size)? Or the plastic wall plugs / rawlplugs? My big concern is the strength of the shelves. The shelves themselves are thick and strong, I'm not concerned with sag, just the wall fittings being secure.
  2. What length should I use? I don't know how thick the brick is.
  3. Would you drill into the brick or the cement? I'm guessing that I will need to drill into both, as the holes in the rails are about 35cm apart and so will likely fall randomly across bricks and possibly the mortar.
  4. I see some small cracks in some bricks (not caused by anything obvious, no other holes in those bricks) - is this cause for concern before I start?
  5. Any other tips for a novice, please shoot.

Any other info needed to help assess my chances of not botching this, let me know.

Cheers

Ray

brick wall.jpeg
brick wall crack.jpeg

Sponsored Links
How many screws per rail? If they're at close intervals like every 6" or less, then you won't need super long heavy duty screws. Ordinary 2" screws and wall plugs will do.

Something like these, perhaps? Might be a bit big for 5mm holes though - I've used them many times on elfa-type shelving and they are quick & no messing about. BUT they are not self drilling - you need a 6mm masonry bit to drill the pilot hole first.

Edit: the rails are 2m long, 6 holes per rail, and holes are 14.7inches apart.

Gerry, I'l get the exact number of holes and spaces between - I think it's more like 12" between holes in the rails.

Speedy - until recently I didn't know you could screw straight into the brick with those. Are they as strong as using plugs? As mentioned, I'd like the shelf fittings to be as strong as possible.

Thanks both for the responses.

Sponsored Links
Speedy - until recently I didn't know you could screw straight into the brick with those. Are they as strong as using plugs? As mentioned, I'd like the shelf fittings to be as strong as possible.

Thanks both for the responses.

Probably stronger....the screws cut into the masonry rather than just relying on the friction between the plug and the hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back