Installing slim shower tray upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an en-suite upstairs and want to install a new shower. There was one there previously but was old and cracked. We want to install a new slim line shower tray. The previous occupants have the waste pipe above the floor boards because the joists run perpendicular to the waste pipe. I will keep it this way as I don't want to drill hows through all the joists as the shower is some way from the outside wall. So I guess it would be sensible to keep it above the floorboards for easier access and will not weaken all the joists?

What I would like advice on is that we know we will need to raise the shower tray up a bit again for the waste pipe but do I mount the tray on 4 by 2 bits of timber or do I mount it on bricks or something water proof. Do I paint the floor boards below it in a waterproof coating or membrane? Also most do not come with an up stand round the tray for you to tile over these days. Can I get material to run round the tray that I can tile over and create that extra seal?

So questions:

What to tray mount on?
How to waterproof?
Equivalent to an up stand?
Should I use a type of rust proof screw. Are they black?

Kind regards

Rob

Sponsored Links
Rob, it would be much better if you could put the tray on the floor and the waste out between or notched into the joists - a much nicer look and can be done with forethought!

However, if you would rather raise it up, then 3 or 4 by 2's with 18mm WBP ply on top is fine. If the ply is dead level then stick tray down with plenty of silicone, if it's slightly out of true (which it shouldn't be as you are building it) then use some sand/cement or tile adhesive and bed it down level with gentle tapping here and there. It wouldn't hurt to PVA the ply before laying tray.
Make sure tray is back to wall with an initial silicone seal to wall, then tile down to top of tray with finish silicone seal.
The outer "skirt" of the platform can be finished using some PVC cloaking strips that are available from Wickes or Eurocell - cheap as chips and quick to install; and can be stuck round the skirt using mitre fix and silicone.

You can use internal coving to edge your tray if it is to be tiled down to.
http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod4367/internal-cove-white-6mm.html

Or you can go the whole hog and use a proper upstand seal, used these a few times and would recommend them, especially where walls aren't square - http://www.sealux.com/

If you have it on a platform, seal any top edges/sides of the wood that touch the wall with silicone too. Sealant all the way round the outside floor edge and along the wall touching sides (no gaps) of the tray as D mentions, then fit tightly to add 1st layer of waterproofing, then seal top edge for 2nd seal. No reason not to use an aqua seal too if you want a belt and braces approach - http://aquastrap.com/

Wall surface? Would it be worthwhile to consider tanking?

Sponsored Links
If the waste has to be above the floor just get a slimline easy plumb tray. They come with legs and panels.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and help. I have plenty to go on now.

Just one last question though 'Dilalio' you suggested cutting through the joists so I could sink the tray to the floor. I am just concerned about the structural safety as the distance from the waste pipe to the wall is a least 3-4 metres. So that is a lot of joists to cut holes through. Is that safe?

Kind regards

Rob

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and help. I have plenty to go on now.

Just one last question though 'Dilalio' you suggested cutting through the joists so I could sink the tray to the floor. I am just concerned about the structural safety as the distance from the waste pipe to the wall is a least 3-4 metres. So that is a lot of joists to cut holes through. Is that safe?

Kind regards

Rob

Can you upload a sketch of the layout and rough route to stack?

Rob, you would need seriously large joists to be able to notch a 40mm waste pipe across them. Joists would need to be at least 330mm which I don't think you will have, so notching for the waste run is a non stater I'm afraid for exactly the reason you suggest. Drilling would need at least a 180mm joist with the issues of feeding the pipework through it and then getting the correct fall.

Jeff's idea around the easy plumb riser kit would be a good DIY option.

Wouldn't worry about screws rusting, just get galvanised screws.

Thanks Madrab that is what I thought. I have attached a rough sketch of the en-suite for anyone's interest. Apologies for the picture quality.

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• en-suite.JPG
    en-suite.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 341
Where would waste go even if using raised tray? In boxing along stud wall? What dimensions are involved?

yes the filled in line on the diagram is the current waste pipe and it is boxed in on the wall so its hidden nicely.

Is there an external wall to the left/right of that drawing that you could get to or is it a terraced property?

I think I marked the external wall which is to the left of the sink and is where the pipe goes out. To the right of the shower is the internal wall which joins to the landing, the door marked on the diagram leads to the bedroom. the wall the waste pipe follows against is a stud wall the main bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back