Installing sockets using Radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals, i'm planning on putting some sockets into my outhouse. i want to install 4 double sockets, i plan on using a crabtree 20A MCB type c, 2.5mm twin and earth and wiring it in a radial circuit to save money/effort. is this ok/safe and within the regs. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why do you say Type C?

New circuits are notifiable to the Local Authority in advance - and outside power is not DIY work.

What do you propose to use in the outhouse? Washing machine? Tumble dryer? Both at the same time?

Sponsored Links
power tools mainly table saw, bench grinder, lawn mower drill charger etc. prob wont be using it all in one go but it would be nice to have it all plugged in so i don't have to crawl under the workbench. and i plan on having a switch before the sockets so i can isolate everything.

i chose type c because its what the electrician used, all the mcb's in my consumer unit are type c. but if you think type b would be better i'll use that instead.

Type b is usually used in domestic installations. If you already have c type and if are using power tools you maybe better with the C type.
Where is the lighting being fed from?

Regards,

DS

Doesn't get around the fact that the OP is proposing to install a new circuit, which is notifiable.

And doesn't know what is or is not safe, doesn't know what complies with the regulations and does not....

electrician used, all the mcb's in my consumer unit are type c. but if you think type b would be better i'll use that instead.
You could use type C MCBs, but only if the EFLI is within limits for a type C. Of course you'll need to test and document this when installing the new circuit:whistle:

yes sorry, outhouse probably isn't the best name, its just that because its accessed from an the outside its what we have always call it. Maybe single story extension is better.

I would not think adding 4 sockets and 10m of cable would be considered notifiable work but having a read through my local regs it is.

was hoping to do it on the cheap, but want the work to be legal so it looks like i'll be getting an electrician in to do it, thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back