Installing Sony DVD RW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Erm.... :oops:

I've come unstuck...I've got the above and connected it to Mrs Secure's PC (a Dell running XP, some frequent visitors may remember). Trouble is, I can't get the system to recognise the existence of the drive...

I can't install the software if the drive is not recognised.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
If memory serves you have already fitted and tested a different CD drive in this system which worked ok is this correct?

Is the DVD shown in Device Manager? For XP Goto Control Panel/ System, select Hardware tab then Device Manager. Click on "+" next to DVD/CD what do you see there?

Edit: Double check that you have power and correct orientation of data cable to DVD.
I think I am correct in assuming if you have a power connection the DVD drawer will open if you press the eject button.
Data cable orientation important. Usually a mark on cable to indicate Pin 1 which should line up with Pin 1 on both dvd and mb
DVD/CD usually have to be set to either Master or Slave. The most common method is via a small jumper on rear panel. Have you checked yours configured correctly for your set up?

Re the setting of the jumpers - Dell send their systems out set to Cable Select, so the little jumpers on the drive should be set to CSel.

The red edge of the data cable shows Pin 1.

I installed a DVD RW on my Dell a while back and I didn't have to install anysoftware to get it recognised.

If memory serves you have already fitted and tested a different CD drive in this system which worked ok is this correct?

Yes & no...I connected one up to the power supply & the drawer opened...but that is all.

Is the DVD shown in Device Manager?

No, only the HDD (c: ) and floppy (a: ) drives are listed.

Power is present. Data ribbon cable is pre-installed to motherboard, and keyed at the other end - there is only one way to fit it.

DVD is set to Master at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Is the DVD shown in Device Manager?
No, only the HDD (c: ) and floppy (a: ) drives are listed.
So we need to look at the physical connection :)

Power is present. Data ribbon cable is pre-installed to motherboard, and keyed at the other end - there is only one way to fit it.
Good.
DVD is set to Master at the moment.
Bad if it is on the same cable and IDE channel as your HD. Suggest you set the jumper to CSL first (as Allison556 suggested that Dell are sent out this way) and try again

Refer below only if changing jumper to CSL does not solve problem
Not being that familiar with your Dell PC and its configuration I am guessing that the MB has 2 x IDE sockets one with hard drive and one free.

The following is a fairly typical? setup:

Hard Drive
Your hard drive should be on the primary IDE slot on the MB. The jumper should be set to either Master or to Cable Select. Check which one set in on your HD and use that for other connections
If Cable Select the connector at the end of the cable should go into the HD.

If you decide to add a second drive in the future the drive jumper should be set to either Slave or Cable Select and connected to the middle connector.

You can connect an Optical drive this way also.

DVD
My pref. is for DVD be on a seperate IDE channel i.e. connected to the 2nd IDE slot on MB with a seperate cable. Jumper should be set to either Master or Cable select.
If Cable Select it should be set on the end connector

BIOS
May not be required but if the above still does not work then you should check BIOS for any settings which may effect operation of DVD e.g. it may be appropriate to enable system to boot from CD and possibly the boot order set (if available) for CD to boot before HD. Without knowledge of your system BIOS I am only guessing here so double check any documentation you have (or search for your BIOS type on the net) before deciding to change any BIOS settings.

EDIT: You should not need to load software for the drive to be recognised and usable. Software supplied may include drivers for special features and/or additional programs which may be useful :LOL:

OK. Dell has IDE1 port attached to HDD.

IDE2 is attached to DVD RW. However, there is more than one plug on that ribbon cable. Should it make a difference?

Third port (DSKT) is attached to floppy drive.

EDIT: Even though DVD is on its own ribbon, I have changed the jumper to CS.

No joy so far.

Will try to find out what BIOS the Dell has.

OK. Dell has IDE1 port attached to HDD.
Good. Are you able to see if it is set on CS or master (probably not too important at this time)

IDE2 is attached to DVD RW. However, there is more than one plug on that ribbon cable. Should it make a difference?
Yes it does make a difference. You should use the end connector not the middle connector for a Master drive. Dont think it is too important with CS though.

EDIT: Even though DVD is on its own ribbon, I have changed the jumper to CS.
This should be ok, however the cable needs to be the correct type. If it is a new cable it probably will be 80-conductor ribbon cable (not an old-style 40-conductor cable)
No joy so far.

Will try to find out what BIOS the Dell has.

Can you get into the BIOS and report back on settings and options?
Usual way is boot up computer and keep pressing Del or could be F2.
There will be instructions for moving between screens and how to select and change entries somewhere on the screen.

As long as both of the IDE channels are enabled in the BIOS, and all of the other IDE settings in the BIOS are set to Auto, you should be ok

Just wanted to double check about IDE cables - which of these fit your type?

If you are using 40-conductor ATA 33 IDE cables, as long as the correct side with the red line down its length is connected to Pin 1 on the motherboard, and the red line on the cable is the side closest to the power supply plug on the drive, it does not matter which end is connected to the drive, or which end is connected to the motherboard or PCI adapter card.

But if you are using 80-conductor IDE cables (for ATA 66 / 100 / 133 hard drives), and you have not enabled the Cable Select option, you must also connect the end with the blue plug to the motherboard, and the master drive must be attached to the other end - which is black - and a slave drive must be attached to the middle connector - which is grey. - You cannot attach a master drive to the middle connector.

You can use an 80-conductor cable with an ATA 33 hard drive, but you cannot use a 40-conductor ATA 33 cable with drives running in ATA 66 and higher modes of operation.

Just wanted to double check about IDE cables - which of these fit your type?

If you are using 40-conductor ATA 33 IDE cables, as long as the correct side with the red line down its length is connected to Pin 1 on the motherboard, and the red line on the cable is the side closest to the power supply plug on the drive, it does not matter which end is connected to the drive, or which end is connected to the motherboard or PCI adapter card.

This matches my ribbon cable: red stripe is closest to power supply on DVD drive.

BTW, all IDE plugs are black. The HDD ribbon has blue polythere pull loops on the plugs & the DVD drive cable has orange polythene pull loops.

OK. Into the BIOS...

Primary Drive 0...HDD

Primary Drive 1...OFF

Secondary Drive 0...OFF

Secondary Drive 1...OFF

I guess one of these needs enabling to "power up" the DVD drive. But which?

The Thlot Pickens...

This matches my ribbon cable: red stripe is closest to power supply on DVD drive.
In this case I do not think you can use cable select due to requirement for 80 conductor IDE cables for ATA 66/100/133 drives. I suggest setting jumper back to Master
BTW, all IDE plugs are black. The HDD ribbon has blue polythere pull loops on the plugs & the DVD drive cable has orange polythene pull loops.

OK. Into the BIOS...

Primary Drive 0...HDD

Primary Drive 1...OFF

Secondary Drive 0...OFF

Secondary Drive 1...OFF

I guess one of these needs enabling to "power up" the DVD drive. But which?
I will make a guess that this will be the Secondary Drive 0 and will need to set option to Auto
The Thlot Pickens...

Just in case what is the make and model number of DVD?

is there not an option in the bios for auto select? mine has but its not the same make, it tells me i have 2 hard drives 1 cd rom and one dvd which is true

Tony: Will set jumper back to Master.

Breezer: There is no auto select as such, but in the BIOS, each drive as listed above has the option to have Drive type switched to "AUTO".

I shall try setting 2ndy drive 0 to AUTO.

EDIT: Drive is Sony & model number is DRU-190A. (20x DVD-RW)

I have now enabled Secondary Drive 0 & the DVD is not being recognised in My Computer.

EDIT: My mistake.. I thought the PC had not "found" it, but now it has told me it has detected new hardware & asked for a reboot, after which, lo and behold, there is the drive!!

Thanks!!

and the jumper is set to?

have you another cd drive?

if so can you install that too?

my reasoning is to see if your pc will see two cd drives

Sponsored Links
Back