installing ups2 pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First time on this forum and hoping someone can help. After turning on the heating at the start of winter we had some serious water hammer. I have an open fire with back boiler (baxi) for hot water (gravity fed) and pumped heating. The pump was a grundfoss ups but fitted on a horizontal plane with the bleed screw in top. After reading various forums etc. I surmised the pump was failing due to the bearing drying out ??? , anyway, I obtained a new ups2 pump and my brother in law,, retired plumber (but worked for telecom for last 25 years) came to fit it. He has turned the flow to pump into the boiler and I now find some of the upstairs radiators are not heating all the way up. I have bled them and it makes no difference. All have TRV's. Could it be the pump is on speed iii and is too powerful or does the pump need to be turned to pump from the boiler to the rads. Some one help please
Thanks
Robert

Sponsored Links
There could be a non return valve in the pipe work to stop gravity heating when you want hotwater only put the pump on the original pipe should sort it'

Hi, Thanks for quick reply,, The pump was put onto the original pipe but turned to pump into the boiler not out of it. By just turning the pump all should be as it was originally. Thanks,, will try that.
Robert

What reason did your plumber cite for changing the flow direction?
If he has left it not working then mebbe you should get him back.

What boiler do you have?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Norcon. He is my brother in law so is willing to return anytime I ask him to. He stated he thought the flow should be pumped to the boiler not away from it. I would not argue with a time served plumber and as the pump is in a very difficult to get at place I just let him get on with it. This was a couple of weeks ago and since then I have noticed some radiators not getting hot all the way up (although this is not consistent.) Due to Xmas I have left it until now to sort out. Will probably get him in in the next couple of days to sort it.
Robert

Older, open fire back boiler systems, were normally piped with the pump on the return, pumping in to the boiler. More modern systems tend to have the pump on the flow, pumping away from the boiler.

However, you should fit it as it was originally and see what happens.

Thanks Denso, My brother in law is coming round next week to see if he can sort it out but will get him to turn the pump round first.
Thanks all for the help
Robert

Def needs to turn the pump back around. You cant just change the direction of flow on an open vented system without altering the feed and vent pipes as well. And there is also the fact that your boiler will now be working in reverse. Ie, the flow and return have been reversed, which the boiler was never designed for!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back