Insufficient room for gable end extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have lived in present property for 15 years and can't have loft job due to roof trusses. We are looking into gable end as only alternative but have a problem as we think neighbour's garage is built on our side of boundary line.

Have uploaded piccies to album to illustrate the problem. It's a bit messy as the woman who was our neighbour has now died and someone else lives there. She also once owned our house and then moved next door.

I haven't measured the gap but have looked at other gable ends in the estate and the gap just doesn't look big enough.

Hopefully piccies will show the edge of our drive and the neighbour's garage to the left.

I don't want to create world war 3 as we get on with new people and we've probably left it too late to complain but if the garage was build a few inches too far then we have a case.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
You can convert trussed lofts, they are a little more complicated but possible all the same, height etc allowing.

Thanks but headroom will be a problem. It's very evident that there are no loft conversions on the estate (all 1981 Wimpey houses).

Really want to pursue the gable option if I can.

Hi again

Getting very stressed about this so would appreciate any advice here.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.

Wasn't expecting professional advice, just general view on space required for gable versus my situation etc.

What exactly is it you are asking? If there is anything you can do about the garage that you think may be over your boundary? Or are you asking if a side extension is feasible or not, given the available space? The lack of clarity in your original post is probably why no one is answering.

Sorry

Was wondering if side extension is feasible. If not, it must mean that garage is encroaching on our land as there are several side extensions in our estate.

Thanks

Was wondering if side extension is feasible. If not, it must mean that garage is encroaching on our land as there are several side extensions in our estate.
I still don't follow why the two issues are linked. How would we know if the garage encroaches? And even if it did why would that mean an extension of your houses was not possible, planning aside?

Hi again.

Reason for linkage is two fold really:

1. The gap between our house and neighbour doesn't seem to be quite as big as elsewhere on the estate where side extensions have been built. Ie there wouldn't be enough room for a gap/gate.

2. Other reason for suspecting jiggery pokery is that former owner moved from one house to the other. Realise that it could be above board.

In short:

Gap would suggest not sufficient space to get side extension and gap to get into back garden.

1. The gap between our house and neighbour doesn't seem to be quite as big as elsewhere on the estate where side extensions have been built.
http://cdn4.fast-serve.net/cdn/whit...-Measure-Mylar-Coated-Blade_150_121_59XYM.jpg

Ie there wouldn't be enough room for a gap/gate.
Do you have to have one?

2. Other reason for suspecting jiggery pokery is that former owner moved from one house to the other. Realise that it could be above board.
You bought the house with the neighbour's garage where it is 15 years ago. I suspect there's SFA you can do about any border transgressions now.

Gap would suggest not sufficient space to get side extension and gap to get into back garden.
Don't have access to the garden there?

Thanks for swift replies.

Every other side extension on our estate (counted about 5) have space to get to back garden so thought that this was a given. I estimate that the wall of the extension would have to be inches from neighbour's garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back