Insulate outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small outhouse attached to my house. I can't have cavity insulation because the cavity is only 1 inch. Do I have any other options?

Cheers,

Mick

Sponsored Links
Do ?I have any other options

Of course. You can build stud walls filled with insulation. Likely to be worthwhile just to cut down heat-loss house to outhouse to outside

Hundreds of threads on this.

Sponsored Links
I would have to agree fitting an insulated stud wall would help to reduce your energy wastage. You will loose floor space though so you will need to think about this before you go ahead and start the work.

I would have to agree fitting an insulated stud wall would help to reduce your energy wastage. You will loose floor space though so you will need to think about this before you go ahead and start the work.

Dont really want to lose any space. Can I just use some sort of thermal plasterboard and stick it on?

Dont really want to lose any space
Can't do anything then .

Can I just use some sort of thermal plasterboard and stick it on
Yes. It will be between 40 mm and 80 mm thick according to thickness of insulation.. Same as an insulated stud-wall.

Surely just sticking plasterboard on is easier?

Obviously I am going to lose some space by doing this but would like to minimise it.

Surely just sticking plasterboard on is easier?

Obviously I am going to lose some space by doing this but would like to minimise it.

You could build studwork with 2x2 timber, with Celotex insulation between. 50mm would make a difference and it's not a lot of space to lose.

Cheers
Richard

start by insulating the ceiling or roof

What do you use the room for?

how is it heated?

Of course just sticking plasterboard on is easier, so is sticking on a sheet of newspaper and takes even less space but neither gives you insulation worth a damn.

You need a minimum of 50 mm insulation plus plasterboard or start looking for so-called magic solutions in your local free-sheet which tell you how to heat your house for nothing.

Of course just sticking plasterboard on is easier, so is sticking on a sheet of newspaper and takes even less space but neither gives you insulation worth a damn.

You need a minimum of 50 mm insulation plus plasterboard or start looking for so-called magic solutions in your local free-sheet which tell you how to heat your house for nothing.

Obviously I am talking about "thermal plasterboard". If you read the rest of the thread before being sarcastic you may have worked this out.

The room is just used for storage.

No its not heated, I though I would try insulating first.

I am currently doing the roof. Previously it had just barrier and tiles and normal plasterboard. I am fitting rafter insulation then will screw some insulated plasterboard to it to make a ceiling.

"Obviously I am talking about "thermal plasterboard"

Oh, that's all right then.

By the way, could you enlighten us as to what exactly thermal plasterboard is, I think everybody would like to know. Obviously a link to where it can be bought and pricing would be very worthwhile [/b]

Yes

But this is a forum where people help each other. Since you are telling me there is a product I am not aware of, forum etiquette would be that you tell us about it so EVERYBODY can learn about and not just one by searching.

So please tell us

EDIT

I've just looked it up and find.............................

that it is plasterboard backed with polystyrene foam 20 mm to 80 mm thick. Exactly what I described a couple of posts back and you rejected as taking too much space

It seems you should spend a little more time reading ( and understanding ? ) what you google.

Let us know if you find your magic product - but that does not include multi-foils.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back