Insulate outhouse

you can get various products where an insulating foam is bonded to a plasterboard skin, but anything thin will be pretty useless. Unless it is 50mm thick or so, it will not add much insulation. It is quite expensive. So we are back with a thick layer of insulation to do any good.

Look up the price of Kingspan K17 or K18 and you will lose interest.

Sponsored Links
you can get various products where an insulating foam is bonded to a plasterboard skin, but anything thin will be pretty useless. Unless it is 50mm thick or so, it will not add much insulation. It is quite expensive. So we are back with a thick layer of insulation to do any good.

Look up the price of Kingspan K17 or K18 and you will lose interest.

Room is only 150cm by 90cm so might not need much, Can I stick it to the wall or does the insulation prevent that?

I think K18 is the one you screw on.

A no-more-nails type of adhesive will probably work on one or more of the varieties. Studwork, loft fibreglass and ply would be cheaper and the ply is less prone to damage, and better for fixing things to.

If you are not heating the building, it will be cold however much you insulate.

I wish people on forums wouldnt get angry and have a go at each other chill out its not worth it!

You have to be practical and accept certaing things. If your not willing to lose any internal space then nothing is really going to help with insulation.

You could go the proper building design route and insulate the outside of the building. This is how stone and brick houses should be made. You keep the thermal mass inside and insulate the outside to stop heat loss. Constant temperatures, cool in summer warm in winter, consistent low energy bills.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I accept that I will have to lose some space but am just trying to minimise loss and do this job the simplest way. This space is attached to the house so will get some heating from that and needs insulation to minimise loss of heat from the house.

So, at the moment it looks like I will be screwing some battens on the wall the screwing some insulated plasterboard to them unless anyone has a better idea.

Insulating the ceiling this weekend so will see if that helps.

Dont really want to lose any space
Can't do anything then .

You can do something without losing any space, external insulation. 2" polystyrene, wire mesh then render. Very popular here in Hungary and very effective. A bit like Beco Wallform buildings. Looking at the photo there might not be enough overhang with the existing roof though so that would be an extra job.

Dont really want to lose any space
Can't do anything then .

You can do something without losing any space, external insulation. 2" polystyrene, wire mesh then render. Very popular here in Hungary and very effective. A bit like Beco Wallform buildings. Looking at the photo there might not be enough overhang with the existing roof though so that would be an extra job.

This.

It's the proper way of doing it, and it's not a huge job to extend the rafters and batten out to increase the roof overhang.

Except I don't like the thought of polystyrene insulation, use wood wool slab or rigid foam.

Or cheaper use battens and cross battens, with mineral wool in-between, membrane, 3rd cross batten to create small 19mm cavity and cladding, easier to do as a DIY.

As to the last question, yes, fill the gaps and screw insulation backed plasterboard on.

Does anyone have a link for thermal backed plasterboard?

6 x 3 would be best but I cant find.

I have had a change of plan.

Im going to sill the gaps with expanding foam, then screw Kingspan to the rafters, then Im just going to finish it with polystyrene tiles! No need for any plasterboard.

What do you think?

The reason I got to this thread was because I have something similar in my mind, to insulate my solid brickwork against this cold weather and huge energy bills which will keep on rising no matter what.

So already tight for space, (floor space) there are other options available of course, some of them are expensive,

There is this dedicated insulation panels that you apply using dedicated adhesive to the external walls, and this is then coated with a layer of coloured plaster, which has a slight textured finish. But this is fairly expensive product and lots of older houses or council flats now use this stuff.

I will paste a link here once I find what this product is and who does it, in fact I know someone who actually does this right next door to me, the product he uses comes from Germany, and is supplied with buckets of adhesive and the material is 50mm thick minimum but 100mm thick is also available.

I have seen something similar used in Switzerland, but they bolt it to the wall, and bolt what looks like a cement board to the outside and render over that.

they only use it above ground floor level to prevent impact damage.

@AronSearle's above post

This is really what I had exactly in my mind as a truly DIY task, which would save me a fortune and I might well be going for this, bales of mineral felt and bettens on the way!

I have just bought the Kingspan, Im going to screw to the rafters then stick polystyrene tiles on to it.

Still not sure about the walls but dont want to do anything to the outside. I think I will do the same as the ceiling, screw some Kingspan to them then plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back