Insulate Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a diy loft conversion and will be boarding all area.
I have read when you insulate rafters that a 2 inch space has to be left between tiles and insulation but space is only 2 inch to start with.
If I put insulation between rafters then board over there wil be no air space.What is the solution?

Sponsored Links
To comply with regs you’d need approx. 120mm of rigid insulation, this would go underneath the rafters, plasterboard fixed under that with long fixings into the existing rafters, sounds like your existing rafters are tiny though so may not be able to support the extra weight anyway. Do you intend to get approval for this conversion?

I'm thinking unfelted slate roof

timbers like wooden pencils

when you say underneath rafters dont you mean between rafters then plaserboard can be fixed over insulation and fixed to rafters

Sponsored Links
fcwoods99 said:
when you say underneath rafters dont you mean between rafters then plaserboard can be fixed over insulation and fixed to rafters

No I mean under the rafters with the plasterboard under that, if you've only a 2" rafter you'll need to keep that airspace for ventilation so all your insulation must be below the rafters. To be honest, current building regs are a bit blasé on ventilation requirements so you’ll need to check with your building control officer before you purchase any materials for this aspect of the works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back