Insulated plasterboard for bathroom with solid walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my bathroom refitted in the new year but wanted to insulate the outside wall - it is a solid wall so was looking at something like Celotex PL4000 directly fixed to the wall. I'm looking to lose as little space as possible so was thinking about going for the 25mm insulation with board attached - overall 37.5mm. I'm a DIYer so would appreciate some pointers, firstly is this the type of product I should use, or do I need something with an 'aquapanel', is direct fix ok? Would 25mm be enough - bearing in mind curently there is nothing, and finally this will be tiled fully to 2m - the full height of the insulation - as it then has a slope on the ceiling.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dab it on with the odd mechanical (screw fixing), go for insulation as thick as you are prepared to loose on the space.
Tank it before tiling if it's a shower which is an alternative, tho not as good as, cement board(aqua panel)

Thanks both, bath will be against this wall. Don't want to lose more than a couple of inches, hence 25mm then board then tiles. Currently there is nothing, so thought this must be better than no insulation.

Sponsored Links
In thermal terms, 25mm+12.5mm PL4000 is 0.83 W/m^2K; 40mm marmox is 0.90 W/m^2K. So very similar but the celotex is slightly better.

This will be much better than your current solid wall, but not up to current building regs requirements. To achieve that level I think you'd need to at least double the thickness.

I'll let others comment about best practice for waterproofing a wall in this position. I'd say "better safe than sorry".

Tank it whichever you use and all should be good. costs about 40 quid well worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back