Insulating a prefab gargage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a prefab garage at my new property and I would like to insulate it so I can use it through the winter as an office.

My thoughts was to bitumen the back of the concrete panels to seal them all then to build a inner wall out of 3x2 treated timber about an inch away from the concrete panels with celotex cut between the timber uprights.

I was then thinking of putting foil backed plasterboard screwed to the studwork.

A) would this be sufficient?
B) is their a cheaper way of doing the same job?
c) would I need to put polythene or a breathable membrane between the studwork and plasterboard?

please can someone give me some advise.

Sponsored Links
Your plan is doable, but heating and ventilation should be added into the mix. Don't paint the concrete panels, fairly pointless.
Build a single course of bricks around the perimeter and build the stud walls onto this.
Don't forget ceiling and floor too.

What is the best way to ventilate this room. I plan to have electric heaters on thermostats as my form of hearing.

Also could I not use Dpm under the stud wall as a cheaper alternative to laying bricks all around the room?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back