Insulating a shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to insulate the the roof of my shed. It is wooden and has horizontal wooden struts all the way along it, around 18" apart. The plan is to fill these spaces with loft insulation roll and then use fibreboard sheets to hold the insulation in. Problem is that I cannot keep the insulation up while I am putting the fibreboard in place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I did mine 2 years ago. Used a staple gun to pin the loft insulation up and fluffed it back up round the staples, then put up fire retardant plasterboard.

I'm not nsure if i want to staple things into the actual roof though. I mean wouldn't it increase damp? It might also be a little thick to be stapled.

How would the string work?

Sponsored Links
staples work great one every foot with no more than 6" unsuported to the edge[2 staples accross a 36 inch strip3 accross a 48"]
most will dissapear as they grip a few strand near the back

just make shure they are smaller than the roof thickness :D

i used 6mm ply to cover my loft insulation in my shed ;)

Make sure your staples are not long enough to go right through the roof as already stated, and you'll have no problem.

Only reason I used plasterboard for lining is that it's a workshop and according to BCO or whoever it was that advised me, too much flammable material as main structure near house is a no no. Is a big nough space to have had to go through planning unfortunately.

I also tried string initially but I kept pulling it from the ceiling and used the staples out of frustration!

My suggestion would have been staple gun. As long as you don't use staples that are too long then no problem. The shed roof wouldn't I am sure be that thin. Otherwise try double sided tape just to secure the insulation to the roof by putting the tape on the roof then introducing the insulation up to it and this means you can use as much or as little tape as you wish. You may find that if you do this, after a couple of sections you will find how little or how much to use to make it work. Then cover with the board quickly before moving on to the next section. Hope this helps.

TBH I'd ditch that plane and use Kingspan.

AFAIK its better than the stuff your planning on using.

If ths KS fits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back