Insulating roof above an old loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a loft conversion that was done many decades ago. The walls are lath and plaster - which gives an idea of how long it has been there! It has zero insulation.

The walls of the room can be partially accessed so I can insulate those, but the ceiling itself is not accessible.

Is it worth cutting a hole in the ceiling so I can access the tony loft space to get some insulation down? How much work is that? I can't think what else to do, and the room does get really cold.

Sponsored Links
internal walls should not be insulated. only external ones.

As for insulating a rood, you may end up having to pull the ceiling down to get insulation into it.

I really can't say without seeing it.

If you post some pics I can try to advise, but it sounds like you'e gonna need someone to look at it.

Belongs in the building or roofing section, but you will need to remove current ceiling to do any effective insulation.

Sponsored Links
Can you access the loft from the outside? On many houses you can push the second or third row of roof tiles up and that way gain access to the loft. Favourite method of burglary in some areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back