Insulation a timber floor concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm 3/4's of a way through insulating a timber floor with 200mm acoustic rockwall slabs.

I have given consideration to the difficult of accessing pipes/cables but decided not to listen to myself and doubled up the insulation throughout and it has been cut and fits snug to the point where it is pushing up against the floor boards.

I basically have so much of this stuff (the garden is full of it) that I'm trying to make best use of it but I'm worried now I may have done the wrong thing by insulating the void so well.

Besides obviously causing a nuisance for anyone in the future that plans on getting underneath the floor to re-arrange pipes/cables have I caused any other problems for myself by doing this?

Have I inadvertently increased the passage of noise in the floor by not leaving a cavity?

It's not too late to undo the second layer (if I have to) if it genuinely goes against what I'm intending to do, which is lessen the noise.

Also, just to say I am aware that insulating a floor in this way mainly prevents the passage of noise traveling UP from below (I just wanted to do the best possible job I can do) .... ....

Have I done the wrong thing?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back